Where to shoot an AK in Memphis area?

G27

The TN Wildlife Resources Agency has a 50-100yd range in Bartlett that is open to the public. You can shoot centerfire rifles, handguns, and rimfires for a fee. I have never been to the TWRA range.

That's worth looking into, thanks.

Any ideas on a range in Jackson? Being in Arlington, it's only about an hour away - I'll gladly do that for the few times/year I want to shoot the 'larger' rifle rounds...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a hike, but Brighton Arms up past Millington will let you shoot just about anything. They're pretty cool.

ACtually, I hadn't thought of them - they're only 35 mins from Arlington and allow anything under 3600 fps - nice find!

Thanks!

Guest jcramin
$240 a year,Yikes!:stare: My memberships at CRC and CHRPC combined is only $225 a year.

Sounds like you have more than one option where you are. we dont :( so they set the price.

Guest jcramin
The Memphis Sports Shooting Assoc range facility is excellant. It is the coughing up the 400 dollar initiation fee that is the tough part and has kept me from joining. 240 a year is pretty good for clays, trap, archery, rifle, and pistol. The best way to get your money's worth at the private club in Lakeland is to shoot 22 rifles and pistols.

I agree the $400 was tough to do, BUT with me a wife and 3 kids who shoot. It pays for itself. We have 4 .22 rifles and 2 .22 pistols and of course several other guns, and now my wife and my son want to get into shotgun shooting too.

I justified it this way. Going to the indoor range costs me 30 something bucks for an hour when I take one of my kids shooting. So joining MSSA I can take all the kids if I want and they can all shoot at the same time as long as we want. SO if I average once a month then its well worth it for me.

J

Guest Revelator

I agree about MSSA. It's less expensive to go there than an indoor range. And though I've never been, it sounds like a nice place with good people. That's part of the benefit, and to me would be worth the cost. I'm considering joining, but I want to go and tour it first. I could sell my wife on the $700 first-year fee, but she wants to see what it looks like first.

Guest jcramin
I agree about MSSA. It's less expensive to go there than an indoor range. And though I've never been, it sounds like a nice place with good people. That's part of the benefit, and to me would be worth the cost. I'm considering joining, but I want to go and tour it first. I could sell my wife on the $700 first-year fee, but she wants to see what it looks like first.

When i took my wife and she saw everyone shooting Trap and Skeet and Sporting Clays she fell in love and said she wanted to do that. SO I was OK to join. LOL

My only concern with the MSSA is the requirement to join NRA. While I, generally speaking, stand behind the NRA, that sort of explicit endorsement is somewhat troubling...

Guest TurboJeff

I was a member at MSSA during the 90's. My father and wife were also members. The main reason we joined was to shoot the IPSC(at that time) matches. We were there frequently enough that my father and I both had keys to the gate that locks up the practical range. We actually had more fun practicing that shooting the matches. We would design our own stages, including shotgun, and rifle stages. We kind of got out of it in the late 90s. We had bought a family home at Pickwick lake. Almost all good weather weekends have been spent there fishing and riding sea-doos.

I might still like to join MSSA again. I find myself shooting about once a week at either RangeUSA or Rangemaster. It does get expensive in a hurry, but I like the air conditioning during the summer:D

For other Memphis-area guys, I checked with Brighton Arms (in Brighton - duh) and they will let you shoot anything as long as it's under under 3600fps (no steel-core)...

Guest Major Pain

Hey guys, its been about 12 years since I've been by there but there use to be a outdoor range close to Galloway. I worked on the railroad and could see it from the track. Galloway is close to Arlington so it might be worth checking out. Don't know the name of the road to it but was about half a mile east of the only railroad crossing there. A lot of things change in that much time so it could be gone.-------MP

Hey guys, its been about 12 years since I've been by there but there use to be a outdoor range close to Galloway. I worked on the railroad and could see it from the track. Galloway is close to Arlington so it might be worth checking out. Don't know the name of the road to it but was about half a mile east of the only railroad crossing there. A lot of things change in that much time so it could be gone.-------MP

Ahh, thanks, I'll look into that - Galloway is 5 minutes away!

Guest Major Pain
Did you work all the live long day? or was it just to pass the time away?

Mostly all the live long day and night for 22 years.---MP :panic:

That sounds suspiciously like MSSA.

Nope--maybe one mile down Old Brownsville east of Canada Rd. 9428 Old Brownsville, to be exact.

Hrm, that's not really near Galloway at all - wonder if maybe there's something private out that way?

I'd seriously pay someone good money to open up some land for a private range. If land hadn't gotten so expensive out this way, I'd buy a few acres and set up my own outdoor range...

Guest Major Pain
Nope--maybe one mile down Old Brownsville east of Canada Rd. 9428 Old Brownsville, to be exact.

Hey guys, been a while since I was there and was always on the rail and my wife says I'm getting a touch of old timers, could have been around a little community of New Brunswick. I just remember the range, maybe 20 stalls. Usually 3 or 4 cars there. Where was the MSSA you were talking about? It appeared to be a public range. Sometimes 20 or 30 cars on weekends.---MP :D

Guest db99wj

Check out this, the railroad is ust south of MSSA, looks as if on the southern boarder of the property. I bet this is what you are seeing.http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAubWVtcGhpcytzcG9ydCtzaG9vdGluZythc3NvY2lhdGlvbiUyYyttZW1waGlzJTJjK3RuJTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJiPTM2LjA3NTc0MjIxNTYyNyU3ZS04OC4wMjc5NTQxMDE1NjI1JTdlMzQuMjE0MDczNDUzNjcyNiU3ZS05Mi4wNzA5MjI4NTE1NjI1

I have MSSA marked, if you zoom to it, and use the areial view, you can see the railroad to the south of MSSA. You can also do the birdseye view and get a great perspective from different directions.

Edited by db99wj
Guest jcramin
Yah, I'll bet anything that's what he was referring to.

I might just have to suck it up and join the MSSA...

Its a GREAT club with GREAT people who help you out with anything you need.

J

Guest Major Pain

You found it. Sorry directions were a little fuzzy, its been a while since I've been out there. But your right the tracks were just south of the range maybe 150yds. I'm about 150 miles away but just curious is the range still open?-----MP