H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Papabear

I have one and its a good shooter. I had to change out the sites to be SASS legal for a long range match. Its a well built little gun not as nice as a sharps reproduction but then again I was out the door for about 400 bucks and a low end sharps is way more than that. It was the cheapest way to see if I liked shooting SASS long range. I run a lace up leather covered recoil pad as the gun really does need a little more weight to soak up recoil. But with mild handloads it's a lot of fun.

I have one. It is a little light in weight for shooting off a bench, so I added a mercury recoil reducer inside the stock bolt hole. Helps a lot with those big, heavy slugs. I scoped mine while I am doing load development to try and wring the most accuracy out of it. When I get my best load figured out, I'll probably take the scope off and go back to the stock sights (which aren't bad).

The trigger is a little heavy, compared to a Sharps with set triggers.

I cast and shoot a 340 gr. Lee RNFP slug and have been using AA5744 powder(thanks Caster!). Just yesterday loaded up some with Trail Boss powder and hope they do well too.

Great little rifles for the $$$. They also make great little projects if you are inclined to smooth them out. They can be made to look incredible.

5744 is a great choice for that cartridge too.

I cast and shoot a 340 gr. Lee RNFP slug and have been using AA5744 powder(thanks Caster!). Just yesterday loaded up some with Trail Boss powder and hope they do well too.

Wow, you're still burning that!?! You spread it as far as it'll go yeah? :up:

great info guys, thanks much. I am not familiar with the mercury recoil reducer? Something one can buy? I will be looking for someone local that has the gun. Wall Mart can order it for $407.00. Decent deal? I will check with local shops first.