I got a Fever and the only cure it Archery Season!

Guest adamoxtwo

Guest adamoxtwo

Man I am seeing Deer everyday everywhere! That means that it is almost time to climb a tree and shoot tasty and delicious animals!! Is anyone else starting to get the itch?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I am right there with you! Finally have access to land (my own) and can't wait to climb some trees. Really wished I had done some scouting at the end of the previous season..doh! I have a good idea of where they are traveling though. Do you adjust your draw weight throughout the year?

Edited by Slappy

Oh I am right there with you! Finally have access to land (my own) and can't wait to climb some trees. Really wished I had done some scouting at the end of the previous season..doh! I have a good idea of where they are traveling though. Do you adjust your draw weight throughout the year?

I don't adjust my draw weight, I just start where I'd like to hunt. If you start shooting now with a weight that you can comfortably draw and accurately fire 12 times, then keep shooting all summer, then you should be able to work up to shooting 50-60 times per target session without reaching fatigue. Of course, we are all different and age has is a big factor too. 35 pounds is sufficient to kill deer with a modern compound bow and the right broadhead, but most adult men can work up to 60 pounds with just a little conditioning. I killed lots of deer at 50 pounds when I was young. I never felt disadvantaged. More weight is more advantage with a faster, flatter arrow, but if you keep your shots to 25 yards or less, then there is little difference.

BTW, I can't wait for deer season. I just hope this year is a little cooler than the last couple...

Guest ORgunner

I got the fever bad. I would rather bowhunt deer then do anything else in the world. Just set up a hang on in my back yard to practice shooting from my stand. Got some trail cameras out on my hunting property an cant wait to check them.

• 4 weeks later...

Less than 60 days till the start of deer season in Tennessee. I hope all you archery hunters are getting geared up and practicing. I shot with a buddy yesterday and was super excited to be busting dots.

I read a good article about shooting at long distances to make you better at close distances. Remember to practice a lot, know your bow, know your distance and hunt ethically. Don't be the yahoo that pulls his bow or crossbow out the night before season and thinks he's ready to hunt.

I probably won't bowhunt this year. Got some really "Hoss" bucks running the property, and will most likely save them for the kids. We'll see.

I'd rather have a doe or juvy buck for the table.

Dave

Guest Brent1973

building my deer stand right now.. took my Exc. Vortex out and my dang scope was messed up.. Am so glad i got Excalibur, sent scope off and should get new one in a week!! no charge !! And i'm driving my wife crazy about deer hunting.. She and the kids or going to Disney and ill be alone for the opening week of hunting.. woo hoo...

Edited by Brent1973