MEC Grabber Question

I've got an older Mec Grabber 762 that is giving me trouble. The sizer is not releasing the shell on the upstroke without having to push the arm up hard enough to jar the fingers off the shell. My first thought was the plunger that holds the base of the shell needed adjusting so the rim of the shell would not be wedged tight into the sizer itself. I have adjusted that up and down with no success. I am pretty sure I have the fingers adjusted correctly because I have a go no-go guage and they are coming out sized in spec. It is getting to be a real PIA having to bang the arm up and is starting to mess up the primers in the tray and I am also worried about my bottles cracking. Any suggestions.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound like it's been a while since you've reloaded on this press. Whatever the case, If it' were happening to me I'd take the offending member out and hose it down with brake cleaner to degrease it then work it over with some fairly course steel wool then put it back together after using some good 'l 3 in one oil on it.

I did buy it used and previous owner had not used it in years. I did clean everything thoroughly and had to install a new sizer. I am wondering if when installing a new sizer if you have to also replace the collet that rides up the sizer to make it compress. Perhaps the old collet was worn to the old sizer and now it hangs up on the new one due to a wear pattern that developed on the collet? Any thoughts on that being the problem.

My favorite lube is synthetic grease from the auto parts place. I use it on everything [No! she won't let me]. It works great on all my presses and all my pistols. Give that a try

Soaked it good with Kroil and let it sit overnight. Seems to be working a lot better now. Kroil will fix anything. Am guessing the friction of the collet riding on the new sizer just needed to worn in some more.