Colt Custom Shop Delta Elite

Well...., So I had this early production Delta Elite.

The finish was a little worst for wear and a so-called 1911 smith had done a very poor grip safety install. Looked OK - - - Just didn't function!

Since I always liked the looks of the original 1990s vintage Colt Special Combat Government models in all of their rubber grip and old style Trijicon night sights glory, I figure that the custom shop should be the place to send this DE for a finish & fix.

345o4y9.jpg

14nmt6s.jpg

Build details to follow.

Edited by DMark

Well...., So I had this early production Delta Elite.

The finish was a little worst for wear and a so-called 1911 smith had done a very poor grip safety install. Looked OK - - - Just didn't function!

Since I always liked the looks of the original 1990s vintage Colt Special Combat Government models in all of their rubber grip and old style Trijicon night sights glory, I figure that the custom shop should be the place to send this DE for a finish & fix.

345o4y9.jpg

14nmt6s.jpg

Build details to follow.

Are these before or after pictures?

Dolomite

... Are these before or after pictures?

Forgive me - - - By your question, I can only assume that you've never seen an 1980s production Delta Elite.

Here is a before picture with most all of the finish gone on the slide.

iqxb0z.jpg

I kept this build simple. The custom shop had to replaced and recut the grip safety to fix the poor install by the other gunsmith. Adding the heavy duty Trijicon night sights along with the lowered and flared ejection port was done to give it the look of a Colt Special Combat Government as they were made back in the 1990s.

Sorry for the poor after photos. My limited skills in photography were exceeded by the bright reflection coming off the deep blue finish as applied by the Colt Custom Shop.

Good Day! :wave:

Edited by DMark

It just looks like there is a lot of polish marks on the slide. Like they used a polishing wheel on a dremel or something like that.

When I polish I move the slide back and forth on the sandpaper on a very flat surface. It keeps the sanding and polishing marks in a more uniform pattern.

Looks good though.

Dolomite

Looks great. Is this your 2nd Delta Elite? 10MM or 45? Colonel, I'm still wanting a 38 Super after you posted your custom a while back. Since we live so close to each other I would love to peak in your safe some day. :)

I just had a Model 41 S&W customized in the last few weeks. The smith did a excellent job.

I took some pictures of mine and the new bluing looks the same way after wards. I keep it oiled and it gets deeper every day. I'm going to post up pictures as soon as I get my new custom grips.

Magiccarpetrides and I have a pair of Hi-Powers off to Calhoun Custom Firearms, a member here. We are going to have them Pimped/BBQ gunned out. Mine is a rare alloy framed one and Magics is a old school ribbed topped slide. LOL

Edited by R1100R
.... It just looks like there is a lot of polish marks on the slide. Like they used a polishing wheel on a dremel or something like that....

Trust me, the sides are very, very flat.

Again, just my poor photography. What appears to be waves are the reflection of tree limbs overhead. I took these pics outside trying to find better light. The polishing and the deep blue job made this one hard to capture in a picture.

.... Is this your 2nd Delta Elite? 10MM or 45? Colonel, I'm still wanting a 38 Super after you posted your custom a while back.... Magiccarpetrides and I have a pair of Hi-Powers off to Calhoun Custom Firearms....

Depends on how we count Delta Elites. This is my third one, but its the only "current" one in my carrying rotation. And of course its in 10mm. I've come late to the cult of 38 Super. Its a great round IMHO. Why anyone would want to force a 1911 to run 9mm when the 38 Super is already there (and designed for the 1911) is a total mystery to me. The Hi-Power is the choice to make in a classic design if 9mm is to be used .

Looking forward to seeing your & Magiccarpetrides' BHPs when Tim is finished with them. Among Hi-Power aficionados, your alloy is one of the holy grails ! :cool:

The ejection port was lowered enough to true up the lines, with live round ejection clearance and a flare.

Yup, those are brass marks on the top of the slide - - - Ya didn't think I wouldn't shoot it.

309rj2f.jpg

From the Build Sheet - - -

Reliability package

Clark two piece guide rod with 22 lb spring

Trijicon HD night sights.

C&S Wide Thumb Safety

S&A Grip Safety with bump

Colt Steel Mainspring Housing

Harrison Design Short trigger

Action job, trigger at 3.5lbs

Wilson Combat Tactical Mag Release

EGW Flat Base Firing Pin Stop

Slight beveled mag well

Mild dehorn of the slide

What really surprised me was the quick turn around from Colt, ten weeks. I was first told 4 to 6 months.

I've fired about 300 rounds so far with it using GA Arms range loads along with Hornady & Buffalo Bore carry loads. Happy to report, No Issues! :up:

Edited by DMark

The picture makes sense now.

I do have a question though. Is the recoil spring 22 pounds? If so that is the heaviest recoil spring I have ever heard of. Most recoild springs run 15-18 pounds. 22 pounds makes more sense as a mainspring. Most Mainsprings are in that range.

I have used 18.5 pound springs but have found that the recoil tends to get a bit harsher when I do. I now run ~16 pound springs and a 20 pound mainspring. The 20 pound spring helps with the trigger pull and I used a squared firing pin retainer to offset the lower mainspring pressure.

Looks like a great pistol and I am sure it will shoot great.

.... Is the recoil spring 22 pounds?

Colt Delta Elite = 10mm

The factory setup is a dual recoil spring rated at 23 pounds.

With the EGW flat base firing pin stop and the guide rod you can get down to a 20 pounds on the recoil spring when shooting "FBI Lite" range loads. 22 pounds seems to be the happy spot for this DE running hotter loads. I'm also running a 20 pound mainspring.

2i255s1.jpg

Edited by DMark

Colt Delta Elite = 10mm

The factory setup is a dual recoil spring rated at 23 pounds.

With the EGW flat base firing pin stop and the guide rod you can get down to a 20 pounds on the recoil spring when shooting "FBI Lite" range loads. 22 pounds seems to be the happy spot for this DE running hotter loads. I'm also running a 18.5 mainspring.

2i255s1.jpg

Had to edit incase homeland security misses my humor.

Are those the low explosive rounds ? Lol

Edited by sL1k

Sure. No reason not to use them when shooting a 10mm. :tough:

b96hs2.jpg

That one actually made me lol . You sir have now convinced me that I need a 10mm 1911 in my collection.