Kershaw Piston Review

Guest ASmartOne

Guest ASmartOne

Welcome to ASmartOne's review of the Kershaw Piston! Enjoy

I don't like wasting space with stats when afore mentioned stats can be found with Google. But in this case I want to make an exception since it is my first review. So the stats according to Kershaw:

Steel: Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel

Handle: Machined G-10

Blade Length: 3 1/2-in. (8.9 cm)

Closed Length: 5 in. (12.7 cm)

Overall Length: 8 1/2 in. (21.6 cm)

Weight: 4 oz

Junkyard Dog at the top of the pic, Piston in the middle, and a Blur at the bottom. This photo was taken with the tip of the Piston's blade at the 1" mark instead of the start of the measuring tape. Any variance between the factory overall length stat and this picture should be disregarded as a photographic illusion. I did my best to place the knives so that the start of the sharpened edges lined up. For me, this way of photographing helps with size comparison.

gedc0021m.jpg

Picture of the Piston closed with a Junkyard Dog:

kershawpiston009.jpg

Piston vs Kershaw Leek

kershawpiston010.jpg

Ok, with the picture show over let's talk about the knife!

The Piston is very light for its size but not so light that the knife feels cheap. It achieve this lightness by not having steel liners behind the G10 scale. Actually, does have liners but they are only partial. Between 50 and 60% on the lock side and 40-50% on the speedsafe side. Though, I must confess that I espouse knives having full liners. I had already decided to order the knife when I discovered that it had partial liners. But there was a pleasant surprise in store for me! One really can't tell that the knife lacks full liners! I haven't found flex in the scales without A LOT of force. The pocket clip can be mounted left or right tip up or down. Taking into consideration the flipper and dual thumb studs, this knife could be lefty friendly. An interesting fact about the clip mountings, there are inserts in the G10 for the pocket clip screws. I believe that the inserts are metal.

The blade!

It is beautiful with no play whatsoever. The lockup is strong and I have a feeling it will take a many openings for bladeplay to develop. I am accustomed to the beadblast finish that Kershaw uses regularly but the stonewashed finish is a nice change. The belly starts almost half way up the edge and comes to a very nice point. The knife is very sharp, as is normal with Kershaw. Sandvik is one of my favorite blade steels right now. In my opinion, it can not be bested for the price. I did oil and work the piviot same as any other new knife. The blade opens very smoothly with the speedsafe. It isn't fast opening like a Blur but it is still quite fast for such a large blade.

Overall, this is, without any reservation, my current favorite carry knife. I just plain feels right.

If you have and questions or picture requests, please, let me know and I will do my best to help you. Also, constructive criticism is welcome! If you see something that I could improve please tell me.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i ended up ordering a meyerco thumb drive II neck knife with it. Kershaw's are my favorite. i will have to look into the mora. you can never have to many knives!