lead bullets in 9x19

Guest HunterDude

Guest HunterDude

thinking about loading up some lead 124 gr bullets in my 9mm. I have plenty of experience loading jacketed bullets for it . Any advice before I begin doing this. Thanksn advance for any help.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't shoot them out of a Glock. Use the same data as with jacketed and work up. For lead I would definitely lube them with Lee Alox even if they come already lubed. Most commercial bullet casters use lube that looks good but doesn't work to well. Lee Alox is easy to use and works realy, really well.

Take your bullet and put them in an open container. Put a small amount, about the same amount of tooth past you use, for each say 100 rounds. Shake them up until they are slightly discolored from the Alox. Then you can elave them in the same container and give them a shake ever day for 3-4 days. Or you can sit them outside in this heat for a day. No need to lay them out on a sheet of wax paper.

Dolomite

A couple of years ago, I bought a small mountaing of closed out Meistercast 124 TCs from Brassmanbrass. I load them over 3.5-3.8 grs of 231. This load shoots well in Colt, STI, Beretta and Glock/wolf. My HiPower has a larger bore than most and leads badly and shoots patterns instead of groups.

The most accurate 9mm I have is an STI Trojan. It shoots 147s from Magnus and Penn more accurately than 115 or 124 gr. cast bullets. In the past I have loaded very accurate cast loads with HS6 and Unique. However, the most accurate load I have ever used in my STI is 147gr. Hornady XTP over a couple of grains of Titegroup.

I've never had any problem with leading in 9mm casting my own or buying bulk. Did load some pretty hot ones once that keyholed through a short bbl. Keltec but ran fine through two other guns. Figured the bbl was just too short to stabilize it. They were the Speer soft lead and are bad about leading anyway.

Guest HunterDude

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be loading for a Ruger SR9c and I'm getting a Kahr CM9 I'll be loading for also.

Caster, What is the best way to slug the bore? I think I have some 154 gr. .358 lead bullets that I think my wifes grandfather cast from pure lead for his 38 special. Do I just kinda tap them throug the bore of my 9's using a wooden dowel and then measure the lands and grooves on the bullet? While I'm at it, got another qestion. A fellow gave me about 80 #s of Nassau bar solder, It reads on the bar, L6424 Lead. Will this be good to cast from as is or does something need to be added to it to work good for casting bullets. I'v got some casting experience from casting jig heads for fishing but that was from pure lead, Not sure if this bar solder is pure lead of if it has some tin added???? Thanks again in advance for your replies.