SKS work

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tedbo

I'm new here and don't want to upset you or anyone. I don't know for certain,but I think that when you change the stock or anything departing from the original you need to give it the 922 compliance parts too.

You didn't specify about compliance parts. I am only trying to be helpful and keep good people out of trouble, so please don't take this wrong.

I am hoping that someone more knowledgable will chime in.

Sure looks good!

I wondered about the compliance thing too. Though I really doubt the first person has ever been busted for just having a SKS pimped out like that. But then again being the first one had been what has held me back from a Tapco stock :drool:

Guest bkelm18

I do believe 922r applies to SKS's as well. I'm not sure on the parts count for it though.

ETA: Ok, after a little research, the SKS has a parts count of 14, so you need to replace 4 items or more with US made parts in order to be 10 or less and legal. Tapco sells a compliance kit that comes with all the parts neccessary for it to be legal. As far as the above picture, I can see: Tapco stock (1), Tapco magazine (2), and I believe the pistol grip counts as one even though its molded as part of the stock. So thats 4 parts, giving you 10 or less and legal. :devil:

Also, remember 922r only applies if you use 11+ capacity mags. Until then, you can do whatever you want to the rifle.

Edited by bkelm18

Also, remember 922r only applies if you use 11+ capacity mags. Until then, you can do whatever you want to the rifle.

BK I been looking, and I cant find any verification of this. This is the first I have heard that the magazine made a difference.

Guest bkelm18
BK I been looking, and I cant find any verification of this. This is the first I have heard that the magazine made a difference.

922r applies when you make the firearm "unsporting". Good luck finding what that means, but basically, a high capacity mag makes it unsporting. If you can find actual documentation of that, I think you might be the first, haha. But here is 922r in a nutshell: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/aprqtr/27cfr478.39.htm.

LOL, I read that and am now more confused than ever.

I don't really want to put a big magazine on it but I do want to put a polymer stock with a pistol grip on it, and I do not want to remove the launcher or bayonet.

why can't people buy something and then do what the hell they want with it?

Guest bkelm18
with what you guys are talking about (922) is leaving the factory non-removeable 10 round mag in it but putting the TAPCO stock on an SKS legal?

btw, thats a very slick looking SKS!

The general consensus is no. A pistol grip would make it "unsporting".

LOL, I read that and am now more confused than ever.

I don't really want to put a big magazine on it but I do want to put a polymer stock with a pistol grip on it, and I do not want to remove the launcher or bayonet.

why can't people buy something and then do what the hell they want with it?

Yeah no kidding. From what I've seen, there isn't a whole lot of documentation for 922r and what there is is extremely confusing.

All these gun laws are a bit too confusing for me, I just do the best I can.

Any feeding problems by using the external magazine? I've only seen this a few times and most everyone had feeding issues now and then with them..

I have had no feeding problems so far. Everything goes right in just like it is supposed to.

Guest page90lx
The tapco kit makes the magazine removable.

Not just the tapco kit, You may have to sand the magwell a little but you can use them with your wood to, the tapco mags are working great in my wood stocked SKS :shrug:

Guest Mugster

Mebbe you should only use the bayonet to hunt deer with in the season. Think that would make em happy on the sporting part? Sheesh.

Nice looking rifle. I have debated getting one a few times.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CJRogue

I, er actually a gunshop, put the black Tapco on my SKS. The dang gas tube pin thing proved to be the bear it's advertised to be. No mag or feeding problems here. Shop did have to do a little sanding to get it all fitting right.