Small Pistol Primers

Guest kj4gxu

Guest kj4gxu

At this point I've managed to procure everything I need to start reloading 9mm except Small Pistol Primers.  I've collected brass at the range and found bullets and powder at MidSouth Shooters Supply last week.  I'm still working on a press, but I did manage to procure a lee loader for 9mm so that's enough to at least start out.

Unfortunately it appears small pistol primers are nowhere to be found.
Does anyone have a source where I could get hold of some.  I'd like to get a couple thousand but to be honest at this point I'd be happy to get 100 or 200 just so I can get started.

Since I'm just starting out I'm not hung up on a particular brand so just about any brand will do.

Thanks
Eric

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you eventually find them in bulk, buy several thousand.  These shortages have been occurring every couple of years.  Don't pay Hazmat shipping unless you can't find them on the shelf anywhere.

Guest kj4gxu

Thanks for the advice Enfield, the only concern I have with buying too large of a bulk up front is I don't know what brands to watch out for.  I know that CCI seems to be the name most people default to and have seen federal and Tula thrown around as good brands but depending on what I find I'd hate to buy a few thousand and find out that I bought a brand that sucks and have a bunch of dud primers.

I'm defintely not planning on paying Hazmat.  Barring finding them at a LGS or other local source my plan is to wait until they come in stock at Mid South Shooters Supply, their warehouse is 10 minutes from my house so the local pickup avoids the hazmat fee.

Thanks again.

Guest 6.8 AR

They usually come in a box of 1000, but occasionally can be had by the sleeve of 100 at some places.

Midsouth sells them by the 1000 and case of 5000. If you want only a sleeve or two, I can do that for you,

since you are here in Clarksville, if you wish.

Guest Fruit jar

That's great of 6.8 to let you buy or swap a pack or 2 of primers. David sells them by the carton and sleeve. I haven't seen a case of primers in a long time, that's 50,000 primers. With the weight, it maybe safer to move them by the sleeve. I use Wolf and Tula, on my 4th sleeve of sp and spm, 1st sleeve of sr and sr .223.

Guest 6.8 AR
I'm not in the business and David is. I was just helping a feller
out locally. His prices will be better for a case of 5k or more all
day long until he runs out.
Just so you know, I'll do stuff like this for locals who are starting
out any time I can. No reason not to. Eventually someone might
come to my aid if the occasion arises. Just being neighborly. :D
Guest kj4gxu
The assistance was very much appreciated Mark. I have a handfull of rounds made up and am going to go test them out today. I ended up going with 3.8 gr of titegroup under a 125 gr sierra jhp at an oal of 1.07. This is based off of a recipe i found online which supposedly came from a lyman manual. If those shoot well with no signs of overpressure then i have some loaded w 4.0 gr which ill try
Guest 6.8 AR

If it gets too time consuming for you, you might have to come over here and press some out on a Lyman

or Hornady press. If there's any spare time in your life, that is. :D That little gadget might take a while.

If it gets too time consuming for you, you might have to come over here and press some out on a Lyman

or Hornady press. If there's any spare time in your life, that is. :D That little gadget might take a while.

Dang man! i was in your neck of the woods yesterday (well, actually Dover and LBL)... aw well, guess I will have to use my own LnL. lol

Really, that's awesome of you!

Guest kj4gxu
I may have to take you up on that on that offer 6.8 ar.

I don't mind the time it takes, but the about 1 in 10 rounds are coming out of the resizer with a sizeable bulge near the bottom of the case. I discovered that at the range when they jammed the gun and it took 5 minutes of working it to get the slide to retract. I'm going to call Lee tomorrow and see if it's user error or a defect in the resizer.

Thanks