Reline a bore - Marlin 1894

I recently acquired an old Marlin 1894 from my father. This gun was my Great-Grandmothers gun and it was used to put food on the table.

I would like to restore it to be able to shoot it again, I can get the parts I need (screws, pins, etc.) to fix it up, but the bore is shot, or should I say shot out. There is little, to no rifling left.

Does anybody know of a gunsmith or metal works place that can reline it for me?

BTW, the caliber is .25-20 and I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks

Ryan

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can do that for you. I think the liner is about $100. Labor would depend on the condition of the barrel's metal.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

ETA: Your best option would be to send it to Redman's. They're the industry standard for such a job.

Edited by jwp
Guest Grout

I would give the bore a good scrubbing.It may just be lead and rust build up.Mix 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxide and White Vinager and soak the bore with it.Scrub and repeat a couple more times.This will get rid of any leading there may be.You might be surprised and the accuracy still acceptable.

jwp,

Thanks for the info. I have looked at Redmans, but I would rather keep the rifle near to me and not have to ship it someplace. I'm probably just over worrying, but I would hate to lose this family heirloom in transit.

Grout,

I've tried the vinegar/HP thing a couple of times. I can now see "some" rifling in the barrel, but I don't know if it would be enough to engage the bullet.

Also when cleaning, the bore brush doesn't have much resistance until about halfway down the barrel.

Thanks again for the info.

Ryan

Keep in mind also that if it's a micro-groove barrel, the rifling doesn't look very deep to begin with but that's normal. I say just clean it really good and then shoot it to see how it does. It's very rare that a barrel gets shot out.

Marlin 1894's are generally not used by competitive rifle shooters. What I meant was that the majority of rifles owned by private citizens do not ever get shot enough to shoot them out. They're usually just "fouled" out.

It's possible, I do see some hint of rifling in the bore. But one thing I noticed was that the bore brush does not have good contact with the barrel until about 1/2 way through it.

I've got some ammo on the way, and new parts have been installed. There are 2 firing pins in the bolt, the rear one looked like someone ground some metal round, put the notch in it and used it, totally not factory. Well both firing pins have bee replaced, the pins that hold the firing pins, and 4 screws have been replaced. Everything is cleaned and ready to go.

When I get the ammo, I'll let you know how it shoots.