Old pressure data vs. new pressure data

So far I have only loaded moderate .357 magnum and 38 spl loads off Alliant's website.  It's been fun, but very tame.

I did not know they reworked the max loads a few years ago and ended up following a Lyman load from the 90's, as I have an older reloading manual.

158 grain JHP and 8.3 grains of Unique...  I think it will wake up my revolver when I test it Wednesday.

Anyone know just how much they have reduced the load max over the last few years?

Edited by Will H
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest K7Sparky

I'm a newbie to this board, but not reloading.

Unique is a poor fit for the 357 mag and JHP.  OK for light loads with lead, but then use 38 special.

Your 8.3 grains is above anything I find listed.  Sierra #1 is the closest and I scanned the Hercules data page from 1985.

From what I see there is not much change in charge level.  Batch to batch of powder and pressure barrel variances is about it.

That said:

Here is some old data for the 357 mag with 158JHP

Sierra #1 1985 7.2 to 8.2

Sierra #3 1990 Serial # 52 Signed by Jim Hull - not listed

Richard Lee #2 2003 7.2 to 7.8

Hornady #3 1983 not listed

Speer #8 1970 not listed (158 lead 7.0 to 8.0 lead & jacket data are not generally interchangeable  just FYI)

Speer # 10 1979 7.7 to 7.8

Speer # 12 1994 6.9 to 7.7

Pocket Manual P.O. Ackley 1967 doesn't say lead or jacket both the 155g & 160g are the same at 6.5 to 7.0

Ken Waters Pet Loads - if you can tell me the issue of Handloader I will check as I have almost all of them

Hercules Reloaders' Guide  freebie 10-85 8.0 attached

Hercules10-85_zps7242b0b7.jpg

Edited by K7Sparky

Thanks for posting that.

Yeah, I know Unique is not ideal for magnum loads, but for right now it's not as simple as run down to the LGS and get a different powder.  I think the 8.3 grains will prove to be a very stout load indeed, and not one I would test in a Taurus or something like that.  

Really it will be a limited use hiking load until I can get something heavy from Buffalo Bore.  

It looks like the drop from older load data to newer is pretty substantial.  Again, thanks for posting that data. 

Might be the powders are more efficient now than back then and that is why they do not need as much powder.

Look a Lil'Gun, it has pressures much less than any of the other powders. The reason? I was told by Hogdon that it is because of a new technology that allows them to get the same velocities with less pressures.

Save yourself a lot of trouble trying to reinvent the wheel. Look up six gun loads of Elmer Keith (father of the 44 Magnum) and buy a pound of 2400. Unless you have a really long barrel and are using heavy bullets don't worry about H110/W296(same powder BTW) as they are tempting because the books make them look better but in my experience they give a lot more blast, are not as accurate and do not work well as an all around powder in the 357.. As to mid range loads I use to use tons of Unique but I switched to 231 years ago....just worked well in  lot of mid range calibers and was cleaner....you shoot hundreds of cast bullet loads with Unique in a SS revolver and it will be black LOL!

I have used the old Lyman +P load of 5.2 grains of 231 and 158 grain lead semiwadcutter for years and years and all my 357's have shot it well.