Marlin/Glenfield 60 rehab

graycrait

I traded for this Glenfield 60  a couple of weeks ago.  When I got it it wouldn’t cycle.  Dismantled it and cleaned it.  However to get to the innards I had to remove some expensive camo tape that was wrapped over the entire thing, stock, action, scope, rings, barrel and tube. Then I had remove several coats of tan paint that was used to paint the entire gun, scope also.

I used the soda blaster to remove the paint from the barrel, action, trigger guard and press checkering on the stock.  The Baking Soda removes finish but doesn’t harm the material underneath, nor does it “fix” scratches, dings, etc. in metal.  It was great to clean out the checkering without harming the wood.  I used standard stripper to remove the rest of the finish from the stock.

The old recoil spring was kinked, a common issue with the Glenfield/Marlin 60.  The front sight was missing.  I ordered a new hammer spring, extractor springs and a recoil spring from Numrich.

For finish I used what I had out in the garage.  The stock got a couple of coats of Danish Oil (walnut) followed up with a couple of spray can coats of polyurethane.  The metal got about 5 coats of flat black engine paint.

Slapped on a spare 3x9 AO Simmons .22 Mag scope on it and I am ready.

The Glenfield 60 is exactly the same action and barrel as the Marlin 60.  The stock and sight were different for cost purposes, with the Glenfield sold at a discount vs the Marlin 60 through various major name stores.

The Marlin/Glenfield is describe as sort of Swiss watch design. They work, have more springs and parts than their main rival, the 10/22. However, there are over 11 million Marlin 60s out there whatever the name vs about 5.8 million 1022s.  DIP Products makes a nice trigger for the Marlin 60.  I’ve put them in other 60s but haven’t decided what I am going to do with this one.  I want to shoot it first. It may need the brass screw recrown procedure.

Glenfield60_zpsd278d8d5.jpg

• Like 1

looks good,I've had several over the years & 0 problems,my brotherinlaw bought 1 in the mid 90's & the firing pin bent,I straightened it & retempered & its still shooting today.I own a 7000 that has the same action,wonder if that trigger group might work in it? 

The only thlngs I have seen go wrong on these:

1.  when someone tries to clean them and removes the bolt, then kinks the recoil spring when they reinsert the recoil spring into the bolt.  

2.  When the wire ejector gets bent down a bit over the years.  You can grab that wire with a needle nose or slip a flat tip under it and gently bring it up and inwards a bit.  It is a bit fiddly but very easy to get right.  If your gun is double feeding this is generally the culprit I think. No disassembly required.  I have never seen the extractors so bad that they didn't work.

3.  Dirt build up in the action.  Contrary to popular belief you do have to clean the action once every couple of decades.  All you have to do is remove two bolts, the rear trigger guard bolt and the big one under the forearm. Leave the other screw at the front of the trigger guard alone unless you just have to remove the trigger guard.  That front screw is easy to bugger up the hole in the wood.  Slide the action out of the stock.  There is a Chicago screw at the rear of the receiver you take out and two opposing screws up front you remove, that is all.  Slide the action out of the receiver.  Spray that sucker down and carefully toothbrush and air can/hose the crud out.  Don't get all fired up and start bronze brushing that thng and knock one of the small springs out of adjustment. Again, just because it can be a pain in the butt I recommend not taking the bolt out as the recoil spring can be a bugger to put back in without kinking it. Carb cleaner, toothpicks, brushes, forced air can get the bolt and receiver in pretty good order without removing the bolt, recoil spring, guide rod.  I have "fixed" several Marlin 60s by just giving them a cleaning and relube. 

This old adage applies to the Marlin 60, "90% of gunsmithing can be solved with Gun Scrubber." 

These guys make some neat Marlin 60 stuff:  http://www.diproductsinc.com/products.aspx?CAT=3603  Just make sure if you are ordering a trigger guard it is one that will fit your Marlin.  There were some changes over the years in length or shape which I have no clue about.

Edited by graycrait