My new rifle....not black...not evil....maybe intimidating

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

Picked up a Remington 700 VTR this week in a trade. I'm normally not a bench rifle type of guy, but this just looks cool so I jumped on it. Hopefully will make it out to the range today and will report back when I do. No pics yet, so here's a link to the stock photos. Looks just like this, but mine already has a bipod and scope mounted on it.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_vtr.asp

I know the 700 is a good platform, anyone have any experience with this variant?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
My new rifle....not black...not evil....maybe intimidating

Awesome. There's always a need for marksman (i.e. "snipers") while the rest of us run around with our shorties when the SHTF. :)

Be sure to post your range results. ;)

Guest abailey362

took it out today and results are below. overall very happy with it.

Remington 700 Varmint/Tactical Rifle in .308

Equipped with a cheap BSA scope and cheap bipod, that were attached when I got the rifle.

Total if 18 rounds through ti today. First couple of shots were not on target at 100yds, and I decided to check out the scope alignment. It was way off. Had to dig out an IDPA target to have something large enough to try and hit and set it up at 25 yds. First shot was 1 in low and 11 in left of POA. Got it adjusted finally after a few shots and then compensated back out to 100yds.

Once I had it sighted in, I got about a 3 in group at 100yds. I think it would be tighter if the barrel wasn't so hot by the time I was hitting where the scope was looking.

Pros - good weight distribution (especially without the bipod on it). Built-in muzzle break is nice, but it still has a nice thump to it. Bolt is smooth, controls are all very conveniently located. Composite stock and built in grips seem well thought out. Triangle shaped barrel looks cool, and I'm sure serves it's true purposes.

Cons - 4 round capacity. the .204 and .223 have 5 rd, but the .308 and 22-250 only hold 4. Biggest gripe is no iron sights. This would have helped a lot with the poorly sighted scope.

I don't know what type of ammo you were using and I do not have experience with a 1 in 12" twist .308. I might suggest hand loads with the 168gr. or 175gr Sierra BTHP. Also check out Sierra's loading manual for an appropriate loand for the 1 in 12".

That being said, the 700 actions are superb and accuracy is generally, for a rifle of this type easily m.o.a. or less at 100 yards. I have no doubt that the quality of scope you were using had a lot to do with the group and your confidence.

Leupold is my personal preference however, they have just about price themselves out of my range. I would highly recommend the Burris with the balistic dot reticle and also recommed looking at e-bay for a deal on a preowned Leupold or a new Burris.

Brass also matters, IMO, when reloading. I would recommed Winchester or, if you have a few pennies saved up, Lapua. A 100 rounds of Lapua will last at least 5 or more loads in a good bolt gun like a Model 700.

Guest abailey362

These were factory load Federal PowerShok 180 gr soft point.

I don't reload....yet. That's gonna be the next investment....especially at the price that .308 is.

I think the rifle will be fine, and the scope is sighted in so the next trip should have much better results. The barrel was hot...I was hot....it was time to go home. Maybe if I'm nice to the wife I can go back out tomorrow and see how it does.

Guest abailey362

took it back out today and put 3 rounds through it before it started raining, but got about a 2" group at 100yds. First thing to do with this is upgrade the glass.

Yes...not to be a scope snob but a BSA $50 scope on a rifle that nice seems a little silly. Your probably want more zoom but theres a 4x32(?) Acog for sell in Chatt (mousegunner posted up the classifieds) for $500 which is a steal...if its calibrated for .308 that would be perfect for what your looking for. I have a 3x Acog on my Saiga .308 thats pre-calibrated to 600yds...the 4x should be good for 700 or 800yds.