Need some information!!

Guest Grizzly Johnson

Guest Grizzly Johnson

This may sound silly, but I'm not into the rifle thing yet, mostly just shoot shotguns. I'm looking at buying a Remington 700 either a 270 or 300 Win Mag caliber for deer hunting, maybe the occasional coyote. Might in the future go out west to hunt other deer species not found in Tennessee. My main concern is whats the difference between an ADL and BDL version. I am looking at the aftermarket stocks with the full bedding/ piller blocks and most are for the BDL, can't seem to find one for an ADL so I was just wondering, besides the fact that the BDL has the rifle sights on the barrel and a wood stock, where the ADL has smooth barrel and composite stock.

Would I be better off just getting the 700P that comes from the factory with an aluminum bedded block stock? I know this may sound like overkill for a little deer, but I only plan on buying 1 good deer rifle and may shoot at the range some, which may require me to take a long shot or two and be very accurate. Ofcourse pricing may come into play......I need to do some price searching on the 700P.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The are two differences. Neither are all that spectacular, IMHO. Well, #2 is kinda nice.

1) Looks. The BDL is a little better looking.

2) The BDL has a hinged floor plate. With an ADL, if you want to remove the ammo, you'll need to work the bolt for each round. With the BDL, you simply work the bolt for the first round and remove the magazine.

All of the 700s are good rifles. But a good target gun may not be a good hunting rifle. I have a 700VS in 308. Super accurate but I would want something lighter for hunting. You just might want to decide what you really want the rifle for and buy accordingly. 2c.gif

I would look to the 30-06. It has noticeably less kick than the 300 mag and more bullets selection. It's cheaper to shoot. It will kill most anything in the US, except I would go bigger for brown bear or moose. The only reason to go 300 mag is if you plan to shoot large elk, carribou or moose at greater than 350 yards across great valleys, which few people care to do.

The .270 is a fine load, but for large elk, caribou and such you have to be far more precise in shot selection then with the others. Since you also stated you are newer to the rifled barrels I would stick to the 30-06. There isn't a huge diff between that and a .308, but just enough to make me say one rifle, go 30-06. I will say though due to its shorter case many like the 308 as you will save some weight on some rifles. The 300 mag is very popular right now but IMO is often overkill. More recoil, more money and not a lot more ability for most people.

Edited by Warbird