Am I too late for turkey season?

Guest Razz

Well this was to be the year I get out and bag a turkey. I missed the spring season due to finances but managed to get my ducks in a row for October. I bought everything I need except the damned hunting license.

I finally pulled my head out of my arse and realized I needed to get busy. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I don't have the time to do all that is necessary to get the permit.

Am I too late? Any advice?

I guess if I miss it again this fall I can go ahead and finish an AR build...
I love turkey hunting, but I don't hunt them in the fall. It's not exactly the same game in the fall. Read up on fall hunting turkeys before you pull the trigger. If you only have a desire to kill a turkey and nothing else, then I suggest you wait till spring.

If you may want to hunt deer and turkey and rabbits and squirrels and quail and dove and coyotes... Then get a license and hit the woods.

Yup.
  • Like 2

I love turkey hunting, but I don't hunt them in the fall. It's not exactly the same game in the fall. Read up on fall hunting turkeys before you pull the trigger. If you only have a desire to kill a turkey and nothing else, then I suggest you wait till spring. If you may want to hunt deer and turkey and rabbits and squirrels and quail and dove and coyotes... Then get a license and hit the woods. Yup.

I agree. I only hunt turkeys in the spring also. A lot more fun. It's available in the fall but not the same Edited by Batman

You're not too late to hunt fall turkey. Have you taken the hunter safety course? That will be the only thing that will take a little time, but it's not too late.

I haven't taken the safety course, yet. That's what I'm worried about.

I haven't taken the safety course, yet. That's what I'm worried about.

You still have time to get in on a class. You can search for a class here http://www.register-ed.com/programs/tennessee/83-tennessee-hunter-education-classroom-course?zip=37066&distance=75 you can also take the classroom portion online. Your choices will be limited because classes fill up, but you can still get it done
I dont see any reason not to hunt turkeys in the fall if someone wants to. Turkey is turkey no matter if its in spring or fall. You just hunt them different. Being able to harvest hens is a good management tool. As far as license and such, you will need to take the hunters safety course.
  • Like 1

I agree. I only hunt turkeys in the spring also. A lot more fun. It's available in the fall but not the same

Fall turkey hunting is a good challenge and to me thats what I like, a good challenge. I do agree it is better in the spring but that shouldnt stop someone wanting to go in the fall.
  • Like 2

Fall turkey hunting is a good challenge and to me thats what I like, a good challenge. I do agree it is better in the spring but that shouldnt stop someone wanting to go in the fall.

Completely agree. Not my intent to discourage fall turkey hunting at all. Rutting bucks in the fall, struttin' turkeys in the spring... that's what spikes my adrenalin, but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt a turkey in the fall if I wanted one. Edited by Batman
  • Like 1

might be possible to take one if you see it when the seasons overlap but im not sure about carrying a mix of shot and slugs as both are illegal for the other game species... I think that would only be an issue on fort Campbell though.

might be possible to take one if you see it when the seasons overlap but im not sure about carrying a mix of shot and slugs as both are illegal for the other game species... I think that would only be an issue on fort Campbell though.

That's another one of the things I love about bowhunting