Hunting Fort Campbell

broylz

who here has hunted fort Campbell for deer? im curious as to the distance of shots taken. I know the area fairly well as I used to patrol the back 40 as a MP but don't know the hunting areas well enough to know which are fields, which are woods etc...

I know its limited to shotgun, muzzleloader or archery so im guessing its not much beyond 200 yards for a long shot but how many were 100+ and how many are inside 50?

debating if I should order a slug barrel or not. I know im ok inside 100 for rifled slugs, more comfortable at 50-75. supposedly a rifled slug barrel and different ammo can go to 200 yards.

who here has hunted fort Campbell for deer? im curious as to the distance of shots taken. I know the area fairly well as I used to patrol the back 40 as a MP but don't know the hunting areas well enough to know which are fields, which are woods etc...

I know its limited to shotgun, muzzleloader or archery so im guessing its not much beyond 200 yards for a long shot but how many were 100+ and how many are inside 50?

debating if I should order a slug barrel or not. I know im ok inside 100 for rifled slugs, more comfortable at 50-75. supposedly a rifled slug barrel and different ammo can go to 200 yards.

Most of the shots you get on post is less than 75 yards (more like less than 50) unless you're shooting across a corn or bean field. Get a muzzleloader. More opportunities on and off post. You'll be a lot happier if you do! I do a lot of ML hunting and would be happy to take you along.

DaveS

that's kind of what im thinking as well. good reason to add a decent traditional muzzleloader. im sure I can do ok within reason with a rifled slug in a smooth bore barrel but a Hawkins or plains rifle will be nice as well.

The best deal on Muzzleloaders right now is the CVA wolf. Very good and very accurate entry level ML.

Call me, before you buy.

DaveS

be advised all weapons have to be registered with them before the hunt ,cant swap & say I will hunt with this 1 today & that 1 tomorrow unless they have #s ect ,good luck

That's right. Register everything you think you might hunt with. Take my word for it!

DaveS

I went to look at some muzzleloaders at a local pawn shop today, Thanks for the heads up DaveS. Even though I think they were decent deals, I just couldn't get myself to drop the cash on them. I think for now, as a novice hunter, I will continue to use the shotgun and rifle I currently have until I figure out how much I really like hunting. if I kill a deer this year and decide I really want to make a habit of this, then I may get another bow and muzzleloader and stay out all next years season. will have to wait and see.

I went to look at some muzzleloaders at a local pawn shop today, Thanks for the heads up DaveS. Even though I think they were decent deals, I just couldn't get myself to drop the cash on them. I think for now, as a novice hunter, I will continue to use the shotgun and rifle I currently have until I figure out how much I really like hunting. if I kill a deer this year and decide I really want to make a habit of this, then I may get another bow and muzzleloader and stay out all next years season. will have to wait and see.

If you want to try ML hunting, I have an extra Inline I'll let you try out. That'll give you a chance to try out ML hunting.

DaveS

I'll actually give you an older CVA Apollo inline. It's barrel and all was replaced with the recall they did several years ago. I have killed quite a few with it.
I bought a new one last year and i doubt this one is ever gonna be used again. You'll have to get a scope for it (i'll include some rings) never put the irons on the new barrel after the recall. It's yours if you want it.

I'll actually give you an older CVA Apollo inline. It's barrel and all was replaced with the recall they did several years ago. I have killed quite a few with it.
I bought a new one last year and i doubt this one is ever gonna be used again. You'll have to get a scope for it (i'll include some rings) never put the irons on the new barrel after the recall. It's yours if you want it.

That is awesome of you! That's what I was going to loan him. Killed many deer and pigs with it. If he gets it from you, I live in the county and will help him scope it and sight it in and get him ready for the woods.

DaveS

would like to ask more, are any of the ML's at wally world worth a darn for deer, my son and I are thinking of one of those or one of the one's in a pawn shop. Now mind you we just moved here not long ago and this will be our first hunt together as well, I never took the opportunity while stationed at Ft Carson many years ago, and we always lived in one of the concrete jungles and it is on my bucket list. So any other feed back we can get would be great. Thanks and don't mean to hijack a thread.

Ron

not yet. have to deposit a check on Monday and will get it done later this week. start my new job tomorrow morning finally so this week is going to be busy. wife is out of town as well so there is more to do around the house right now as well as a surprise im planning for her return. looks like it will be weekend after next before I get a chance to get into the woods.

would like to ask more, are any of the ML's at wally world worth a darn for deer, my son and I are thinking of one of those or one of the one's in a pawn shop. Now mind you we just moved here not long ago and this will be our first hunt together as well, I never took the opportunity while stationed at Ft Carson many years ago, and we always lived in one of the concrete jungles and it is on my bucket list. So any other feed back we can get would be great. Thanks and don't mean to hijack a thread.

Ron

as the OP, I don't consider this a hijack :)

I would say it depends on what you want to do with it. if you just want a ML to take a deer, then the cheaper CVA Wolf at WM has had a couple thumbs up here already. Pawn shop on Dover road had 4 ML rifles on Friday. 2 inlines and 2 traditional looking ones.

• Like 1

not yet. have to deposit a check on Monday and will get it done later this week. start my new job tomorrow morning finally so this week is going to be busy. wife is out of town as well so there is more to do around the house right now as well as a surprise im planning for her return. looks like it will be weekend after next before I get a chance to get into the woods.

Let me know, and I'll go with you if you want. I know some good areas for deer and pig.

DS