Not sure I want to keep it, Radom Mag98

Guest earlybird

Guest earlybird

As I understand it, not many were made/imported. I picked it up in a package deal, a CZ83, Mag98, Yugo Tokarev, CETME, and a 91/30 for my brand new, unfired 1997 dated USP .45 and stacks and stacks of extra mags. It is a great pistol, just not sure I want to keep it. Reminds me a lot of the EAA EZ9 I had, which I hated selling it, but we all need emergency money sooner or later. The grip is a little big for my hand, but it is contoured for more "grip" if that makes sense. Controls are almost identical to a 92fs or PT92. Trigger is crisp, though it has a lot of take up. The finish looks like it is robust, but wears easily, a few times in and out of the holster and it is worn through in spots. The sites are not the greatest, in fact they kinda suck. They are adjustable, I just couldn't get consistent repeatable results. 25-30 yards on target was about it. I like to be able to go out to 50 without trying. Only other gripe I have is it only likes +P's. Using some of my range ammo, 115 gr and 124 gr, it failed to feed a couple times, locking it up once, and stove piped twice. Using +P's no issues what-so-ever. Once I figured that out it chewed up my last 300 rounds in a heart beat. Shoulda paid attention to the 9mm nato on the slide. Don't know what else to say about it, it only has a decocker, no external safety. I had much better luck with the Tokarev, so much so that I adore it. I sooo much want to love the Mag98, but i can't warm up to it. Not sure yet if I want to keep it as a every so often, or trade it for something I love to shoot. Thinking about stepping away from 9mm altogether lately. Maybe a USP .40 is next. Or I will look for another of the EZ9 family. 

I was looking for a picture, but I guess I don't have one of it yet. Odd, usually that is the first thing I do for my records. Off to find the camera!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't need it, want it, or like, I see no reason to keep it.

I've know how you feel about keeping things, I've done it too.

And like you said, "Emergency Money" is sometimes needed. 

And when you need cash fast you usually have to take less than you would 

if you kept it and tried to sell it at "regular price".

Also, I like to decide what ammo my pistols like, I don't like them deciding for me.

And since +p is a little more that would be another reason to sell it. Or you could spend a bunch of money on it and shoot it

until it "likes" the standard stuff. I assuming (bad to do) it has a heavy recoil spring?

Are parts easy to come by for it if you were to need them?

All the signs point to selling it for me?

My vote is to sell it and save for something else. Or just plain save the money?

Edited by TnShooter83