Eliminating NV bloom

Guest theconstitutionrocks

Got a question....

I'm running a tube reflex sight (think cheapo M68) on the rear of my upper rail on the handguard. I rigged up a generation 1 NV monocular behind it on a quick release so I can put it on for limited visibility operations and remove it for daytime stuff (think PVS-14/M68 combo). Problem is, even with the dot turned all the way down to lowest power, my NV blooms out so badly I can't adequately aim with it.

I do have a green laser mounted that I can use (NV allows me to see, laser gives me an aimpoint, but that combination advertises where you are while the NV/reflex doesn't.

Short of allowing the battery to weaken, anybody have any idea on how to reduce the bloom? I don't want to pay like 3000-4000 for a gen III and high end reflex (if I did that I might as well go whole hog and start looking at thermals.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of a single way to eliminate the bloom without hindering your ability to gather light into the NVD.  Switching to a gen 3 tube will not solve the problem completely, your still getting to much light from the dot.  You have a couple of options, a better optic with a NV setting will solve the problem and still be less expensive than a gen 3 tubes or decent thermal sight.  If your really on a tight budget i would recommend the vortex strike-fire.  PSA has them right now for around 115.  Sightmark also has a NV compatible red dot for around 150, looks kind of like a eotech bastard child.

The other option is to find a rail mounted IR lazer that is within your budget.   Lazermax makes a small rail mounted IR lazer that i believe costs in the 150's, not sure the quality.  Obviously you can go way up from there in price to milspec devices like the PEQ2 or PVS 4. 

Thanks to all for the input...thinking the NV compatable reflex is prob the way to go. Might add an IR laser...course only problem with that is if the other guy has NV also...well, ya know....

I have a gen 1 nv scope and honestly without additional illumination 100 yards is pushing it.

I hear ya..thought about that and kinda figured well, given the terrain and stuff here I probably wouldn't have to shoot beyond that anyway