Future trust questions

I have read that the ability to use a trust for Class III firearms without CLEO signiture may end in June.  I am wondering how someone like me who will buy Class III in the future can go ahead and setup a trust now before the changes go into effect?   Do I need to actually buy something now (I think I do) before the trust is legitimate?   How do I need to go about this?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a change in the ATF rules being contemplated. We won't know until June what the ATF will do. Anything put in before the rule change should go through without CLEO signatures, fingerprints, of photographs. A trust can be set up at any time you like. If you have other questions about a trust, I'd be happy to talk with you about it.

Bird, John is spot on... If I'm reading more into your ? though I think you're asking can you set up a trust now and buy something 10 months from now ... sure can but the fingerprint/CLEO regs will be what regs are in effect when you submit the item for transfer not when the trust was/is created... so if you had a trust now, bought an item now, then currently no fingerprints, cleo, etc... but regardless of when the trust was created, it's what's in effect when the item you purchased goes through the transfer to you.

So EVERYONE with a trust set up even 20 years ago will have to do what the regulations state at the time of their next transfer ... so otherwords, getting the trust set up now does nothing for you except save a little time and effort for anything you buy NOW ... next month it may be different hoops we ALL have to go through.