Want to re-organize my guitar portfolio.

My first question is: Has anyone ever traded guitars with Guitar Center? I’m betting they low ball your trade and stick it to you with their guitar, but I just thought I’d ask.

Where I’m at:
I have is a VERY prestine (as in perfect) Taylor 514CE with the Taylor Red Velvet Case where it’s lived most of it’s life, since I’m afraid to take it anywhere outside of my home to play it. It really IS that beautiful of a guitar. It’s a 2000 model and I bought it brand new. It also has brand new Ernie Ball Earthwood extra light strings, to the tune of $4.00.

Where I want to be:
I want a used Taylor Flattop, say a 110 or a 210. It doesn’t have to be “VERY prestine” like mine is, but I’d like it to look nice and play well. I also want a used Fender American Standard Stratocaster with Maple fretboard. Color don’t matter a great deal other than no white, green, blue, pink, purple…Black or brown sunburst is great, red is my favorite.

Guitar Center has used guitars, but I’ve not heard anything about how it is to trade with them. They do have a used Fender for around $850 give or take $50. They also have used Taylor 110’s and 210’s for around $525. I was gonna try to sell my 514CE for around $1600, but I’d do a trade like this even though the total a GC would be about $1400. So, does anyone have an idea on how I could get there. I’m working a crazy shift right now and it’ll be a month before I can get to GC to see how that would work. Plus, it’s 2am, I’m taking a break and I hate night shift…LOL. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about this place, is people are willing to help with even crazy ideas like this. So…Anyone got any ideas or stores that will give good trades? Edited by Randall53
My advice would be to search eBay and gbase for the same model/ condition guitar as your Taylor and find out what people are asking, and what they are actually selling for. Also I think the Taylor forum has a classifieds, you might check there or other acoustic forums to help establish a realistic price. (Not saying $1600 isn't, I don't know) once you got your price I'd list it on eBay on the high side with the option to hear offers.

I advise to never use guitars as trade at Guitar Center, cash is king. Other stores you may do a bit better with, but it's generally the same or worse than trading guns with a gun shop. Unless you have something very special or you just really need the money, it's not worth it.

Taylor forum....now I like that idea. ThanksTrickyNickey.  Didn't mean to post this reply so quick so had to edit. I'll look into the forum, I was also just trying to see if anyone here may know of some good guitar dealers that are fair in their trades. I do understand what you mean though about trading guns at gunshops. It's really just so hard to sell anything nowadays like on craigslist money is just so tight. I'll figure something out. If anyone does know of a good place to trade guitars I'd be willing to drive a good ways to make a good trade.

Thanks again for the input.

Edited by Randall53

I thought I'd come back and say that I'm glad I did go to ebay and look at the sold guitars. I was going to sell this one for 1600, but I see the "mint" 514's are going for $1900 to over $2K.  Dinged 514's are going for $1400+.  I guess I'll give ebay a try.  I've never sold anything on there but I've bought a few things.  Thanks for the heads up!!

I've never traded with guitar center, but a coworker has a couple times.  He got one screaming deal on an amp (Mesa triple-rec) once, but otherwise the deals have been average IMO.  Trading with them is like trading anywhere else... If they want what you got, you'll get a good deal.  If there's 1000 others just like what you have, you won't. 

• Like 1