SCAR 17S PMAG Compatible Lower

atlas3025

I have waffled on switching to an aluminum lower for my SCAR--that will allow use of PMAGs rather than the proprietary SCAR mags by FN--for a couple of years.  There are a few SCAR specific mags on the market now that are an alternative to the FN pieces, but they have had generally poor reviews.  I have never really gone wanting for the FN mags for mine.  I actually bought 5 back when they were hard to find before I even had the rifle.  But they are expensive at around $40 each, and they are still harder to find than PMAGS.  

I had pretty well decided not to switch to this style lower, but the recent acquisition of an AR-308 combined with the new 25 round PMAGs in 308 finally pushed me to get one.  Having commonality of magazines between the SCAR and AR-308 is a strong lure.

There are two lowers on the market currently, one by Handl and one by Cavalry Manufacturing.  There is also one in the works by Stryker Enterprises that looks amazing, but it has been in the works for more than two years, and in spite of constant teases and promises has yet to see the light of day. If they ever hit the market, I may consider one.  It is the subject of considerable conjecture and cause of constant angst on the FN boards.

The Handl is a really nice looking piece, but it has received a lot of mixed reviews.  I decided on going with the Cavalry unit.  It is not fancy and shares the same sculpting as the plastic factory lower, except that it will accept PMAGs, obviously, so it is a bit wider than the OEM unit, and the trigger guard is opened up.  It will also accept AR-15 grips, where the OEM lower will not without some modification to either the grip or lower.  The lower is slightly heavier than the plastic OEM version, but PMAGS are lighter than the steel factory mags, so it's basically a wash.  The more mags you carry, the more it favors the PMAG compatible lower.  

Anyway, it came yesterday and I got it installed.  I thought I would post up some pics in case any of the SCAR guys on the board have been curious.  

The finish is smooth and even and there are no sharp edges.  The fit with the factory parts is perfect.  It was very easy moving the factory components from the OEM lower into the new unit.  PMAGS drop free with no issues and the bolt catch works as it should.  This discoloration on the lower in my pics is just excess oil from the trigger install.  My only gripe is that because the lower is a little wider than stock to accommodate the wider PMAG, there is extra width at the top of the gip.  You can see it in the second pic below at just above the magpul branding on the Grip.  It doesn't really cause any problem, and it exists on the factory lower too (just a little less), but I wish it were flush with the grip.  Yes, the gun has green krylon on it.  

Cav2.jpg

Cav3.jpg

Cav4.jpg

Cav1.jpg

I have not fired it yet because it is 9 degrees today, but I have hand-cycled several rounds through it with no issue.  The reviews I have read state 100% reliability, so I am not too worried about it.  

• Like 1

Lol, good eye!  I picked one up directly from Geissele at the NRA show in Houston a couple years ago...and saved about $100 compared to Midway.

That is something to keep in mind about the NRA show in Nashville...sometimes manufacturers are there that will sell at deep discounts vs retailers!

Its the standard front half with a VLTOR back half.  

https://www.vltor.com/shop/scar/vss-11-scar-stock/ 

Its ugly, but gives you some storage space for airplane bottles of booze.  

Rumor has it that Stryker is about to come out with a new rear plate that will let a SCAR mate up with an ACR stock.  

That's cool, I had no idea VLTOR had something like that. Booze is always needed for when operators are operating in operations.

OOoooo, nice. I do like the ACR stock alot better than the SCAR stock.

boner.png