Box traps for rabbits

It seems like the only time I think about this is on weekends when the gov. offices are closed. Does anyone know for sure if box traps are legal or illegal?

I love my fried rabbit but my old body just won't stand up to the hunt nowdays.

My dad and I used to set out traps in the area where we hunted in Oklahoma and if we got enough by hunting he would release the ones in the traps. I don't know what the state limit was at that time but his limit was four... said that's all we would eat.

Rabbit season comes in in November. I'm not sure if rabbit traps are legal or not. I've not run into that but I will do what I can to find out. If it is legal, it would be when rabbit season comes in.

Dave

Rabbit season comes in in November. I'm not sure if rabbit traps are legal or not. I've not run into that but I will do what I can to find out. If it is legal, it would be when rabbit season comes in.

Dave

I'll appreciate any info you can come up with.

I sent an e-mail to the TWA asking about it but haven't gotten a reply yet. I was going to call but i'd rather have something in writing even if it's just an e-mail from them.

As far as the rabbit season, I've always waited until after the first hard freeze anyway even when I was hunting.  I've had my traps outside weathering for about two years now because I saw this day coming.

Chip

Search through the TN hunting & trapping guide

http://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/twra/attachments/huntguide.pdf

From what I can tell, there is no "trapping" season for rabbits (see small game starting on page 18 of the guide).

From the guide, on page 16, "legal trapping devices and definitions", item 2

Live traps are legal for taking any species of wildlife listed as having a trapping season. Live traps are defined as those traps that act as a cage after capture.

I could not find a "trapping season" for Rabbits, only a hunting season. 

Good luck, and let us know how the TWRA responds.

• Like 1

This is what I got back from TWRA and it really doesn't say whether it's legal or not.

There is no trapping season for rabbits in the State of Tennessee.  Page 19 of the Tennessee Hunting and Trapping Guide is where the trapping regulations are found.  You can access the guide at tn.gov/twra

Cape Taylor, Lieutenant Colonel

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency

Division of Boating and Law Enforcement

P.O. Box 40747

Nashville, Tennessee 37204

615-781-6580 office

When I was a kid, my grandfather and I would set rabbit boxes in his garden. He would let me build the boxes and set them. He wouldn't eat rabbit in warm months, so we always just released them on the back of his property. He ran beagles, so he wanted rabbits around, just not in the garden.