Book recommendations

Guest dwrd

What survival theme books does everyone suggest? I know the SAS field manual is a popular one from when I worked at a bookstore. Which ones do you consider to me a must have in the house?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astra900

Look for a book by an old Mormon woman named Esther Dickey. She was a master of storing food, and there is a ton of stuff to learn about the art of storing back food for long term.

Look for a book by an old Mormon woman named Esther Dickey. She was a master of storing food, and there is a ton of stuff to learn about the art of storing back food for long term.

Ah.... that creepy old cold war lady that no one wanted to call their grandmother...

Plus 1 on the recommendation. She does write good stuff.

Foxfire Series

The Book of Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart

Boyscout Book

Your pick from this site, but seriously, only take what you need, because it will kill the bandwidth, and the owner shuts the site down.

http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm

Another website, read the directions at the top of the page. This site has many firearms manuals and some blueprints.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

I believe that was called 'Passport to Survival'.

also,

Patriots, aka Triple Ought, JW Rawles. online with some serious digging

Encyclopedia of Country Living, Carla Emery

Lights Out by Halffast (david) online

online short stories:

anything by Old Bear (birth of a raider is his best imo)

The Bugout, by Halffast (a study in what not to do)

Guest REDDOG79

98.6 degrees: the art of keeping your ass alive by Cody Lundin

When all hell breaks loose by Cody Lundin

SAS survival manual by John "Lofty" Wiseman

Wilderness Survival by Gregory Davenport

Wilderness Living by Gregory Davenport

Emergency Preparedness and Survival guide by Backwoodshome.com

Field Guide to Wilderness Survival by Tom Brown

these last two are dated but provide some good information but I would not recommend them to a newbie to outdoor survival

How to stay alive in the woods by Bradford Angier

Camp Life in the woods and the tricks of trapping by W Hamilton Gibson

Edited by REDDOG79

Combat Medic Field Reference

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=IPogyJIy6cAC&dq=combat+medic+field+reference&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=Zggtq_JzvU&sig=Xu4-SbyG7E5bgaZHfXdL26yzYiI&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPP1,M1

I don't have one of these yet, but in talking to a combat medic, he suggested this as a good book for untrained medical personnel.

I am not a doctor, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor a Motel Six, for that matter. Dial 911.

• 1 month later...
Guest MinorKey

Krater has a great list!

The best site i have seen hands down is run by JW Rawles the author of "patriots". it is www.survivalblog.com. it is a daily read for our family. manymanymanymany outstanding articles there as well as links to just about everything you need. he has a "rawles gets you ready" course that is great if you are just starting out, but after a couple years of researching, most of it was review.

boston's gun bible is a nice add

ball's canning and preserving "blue book"

some great books at tractor supply of all places. like "everything you need to know about country living" has every subject at least touched upon practically. great skills for hard times.

make a plan and work it... you wont regret it. (tangibles are a better investment than anything IMHO)

Keep yer powder dry,

MK

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest SUNTZU
Guest coldblackwind

I have "the ultimate guide to U.S. army survival skills, tactics, and techniques", by the U.S. department of the army, edited by Jay Mccullough. Basically he took what he considered to be the best parts of all the army survival manuals over the years, and put them in one, major city phonebook sized, book. Its 954 pages long with everything from first aid, to edible plants, simple shelters, camoflage, and techiques for hunting/trapping with homemade equipment. Downside, I wouldn't want to have to carry it with me in an emergency, its literally the size of say...the nashville phonebook.

Edited by coldblackwind
typo
Guest Biggun

I'm currently reading "The Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living~Surviving with Nothing But Your Bare Hands and What You Find In The Woods" by John and Geri McPherson.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest onefastgun45

I've had a book for years called camping and woodcraft by Horace Kephart. This is excellent material to have in any collection

• 3 months later...