Georgia World Congress Center location - safe/carry?

vujade

Here is a review of a hotel where I'll be staying this weekend:

1.0 / 5Poor "Crack house with Hookers on the corner."
My kids still have nightmares from that nasty place. Their was blood and hair in the sink and toilet.
Genuine Hotels.com guest review

I waited last minute so it's slim pickings and I can't afford $250 a night for a nicer hotel I'm there to attend a photography convention so I'll have some expensive camera gear with me. I'd love to be able to carry my gun to and from the hotel/convention center (it's about half a mile walk or Uber). Does anyone know the carry rules in said convention center? I know the review is tongue in cheek but I just want to be careful.

Does anyone know this area of Georgia and can advise if this place is ok/safe/not safe? I'll be staying here: Castleberry Inn & Suite

186 Northside Dr Sw, Atlanta, GA, 30313

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GWCC is a government building, therefore it is only off limits if they have screened security at the entrances. Furthermore, if you get past security and then they see you are carrying, they are supposed to give you a chance to leave without arrest.

They apparently do not have screened security (metal detectors) for every event. I would not carry openly in case they think a single LEO watching people enter counts as screened security.

If I were you, no way would I go unarmed,and I would not want to be carrying valuables. Walking in the area immediately around the GWCC made me uncomfortable, so I can't imagine walking far to get there. The hotel reviews may be accurate.

I was looking at the map on the hotel page, I noticed the proximity to the several colleges down there.  I have frequently seen reports of students from that area being mugged for their cell phones and money.  I would not walk from the hotel; I would take the Uber.

I went to the GWCC for a veterinary convention one year.  It was before HB60 was passed; back then it was illegal to carry in any government building.  Now, they can only ban people with a license (or reciprocating state equivalent) if there is actual security.  The exact words are where "ingress into such building is not restricted or screened" by security personnel.  In addition, in order to be arrested for violating that, at least one of the security personnel must be a certified peace officer, and they have to give you a chance to leave if you fail to clear security. 

Based on all that, I would imagine it would be hard to use actual security screening for a typical convention.  The set up is very similar to the Music City Center (many glass doors on multiple sides of the building).  They might try to screen at an inner location, such as if the entire convention was contained to one room, but I would imagine the presence of camera equipment would throw a wrench into metal detector or wand use.  I doubt they go through the effort, but of course conditions have changed since San Bernadino.  During the veterinary convention, all they had were staff directing people to go in the correct rooms.

So, could they have a LEO just watching entrants for visible weapons as they enter?  Yes, but I would argue that doesn't fit the legislative intent of security screening.  The stated intent was that if we had to disarm, there was supposed to be some attempt to make sure the criminals would be disarmed also.  Also, a watchful LEO would probably only spot OC, unless you had large, obvious holster hooks showing on your belt.

One caveat to add was that as recently as the SEC Championship game in December, 2015, they had several layers of security for the welcome reception associated with the game.  That was obviously a more high profile event.

One other caveat is this section of OCGA 16-11-127, which was in place before the most recent law changes: 

(d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply:

(2) To a license holder who approaches security or management personnel upon arrival at a location described in subsection (b) of this Code section and notifies such security or management personnel of the presence of the weapon or long gun and explicitly follows the security or management personnel's direction for removing, securing, storing, or temporarily surrendering such weapon or long gun; and

It describes the supposed procedure for what you were to do if you had a gun in a prohibited location.  Previously, the conventional logic would be that the security would look at you funny and just tell you to go put it back in the car, but technically, they could have provided storage lockers or something.  Conceivably, they could have said, "just keep it holstered," and you would be good if you followed their directions.  When GCO first sued about the church ban, the State argued (and won) that this section gave churches the ability to allow carry on a case-by-case basis even though there used to be a blanket prohibition on carrying in churches at that time.

Since this last section is still the law also, I wonder what would happen if you walked half a mile, found there was actual security, and asked what to do about your gun?  Knowing the type of people who run Atlanta, they might not care if you had to walk back to the hotel room.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=127

• 3 years later...