looking for a gunsmith - west tn

In the past year I moved from Knoxville to west TN, and am looking for a gunsmith in the Jackson \ Milan \ Humboldt area and was wondering if anyone can make a good recommendation. I have a couple of button cap screws on a keymod forgrip that are stripped and can't figure out a way to get them out without having a really good chance of screwing up the finish. I got 4 of them out and they were crazy tight, but there wasn't any sign of lock tight. The remaining two are really tight. I've stripped 2 Allen wrenches (and the screws) and tried a Grabit bit. Would rather not drill and retap. My ARs are not safe queens, but I don't want to me up a brand new firearm in this process.

Any other ideas to try or a good gunsmith recommendation?
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranger431, I read your post and cannot determine if your screws are stripped at the head recess (where the allen wrench falls into the screw) or along the threaded body of the screw.  

If the allen wrench spins in the head, but the screw will not turn, grab a set of torx driver bits.  Start with the smallest size bit and put it into the screw.  If that bit will spin but not engage the screw head, move up to the next larger bit.  Repeat these steps until you find a bit size that will enter the screw and WILL engage the head (not spin freely).  Use that bit to remove the screw.  It will work if it can engage enough of the metal in the head.  Then again, what if your recess in the screw head is really round and smooth.  Find the largest screw that will enter that head and spin but NOT engage the head.  Now go to the next larger bit - the smallest torx driver that will  NOT enter the recess.  This is the bit you need.  Position your foregrip such that the bottom of the screw is resting on a solid surface (bench top??).  Position the bit directly over the recess and use a small hammer (brass or steel) to drive the bit into the recess with light taps, trying to drive the bit to the bottom of the recess.  (If you get only a small part of the bit into the screw you may strip out the top of the recess again.)  Once deeply driven into the recess the bit will remove the screw.  These screws, when removed, will require replacement.  To carry this discussion further, suppose the recess in the screw heads is really shallow. It may be necessary for your to use a drill to slightly deepen these cavities so the drivers can get enough bite to work.  This would be your call.

If, on the other hand, the threaded body of the screw is what is stripped, you are looking at a drill-out or similar response to the challenge.  

Good luck with your project.

Stumpy

Thanks Stumpy. It is the head that is stripped, it is completely round now. After the Allen wrenches wouldn't work, I've tried two different bolt extractors, neither budged the darn things. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of Lock Tight at all. Being that the heads are round, I can't seem to get a Torx bit to grab at all - maybe a bigger hammer??

Ranger431, look back at the suggestions I posted.  As you test torx bits (going from smaller to larger) you will look for the last bit that will enter the cavity.  If it spins without grabbing metal, go to the next larger size bit.  If it will not enter the recess (and it probably will not), gently drive it into the cavity, trying to get it to find the bottom of the recess.  This will give the bit the maximum amount of "grab" in the head.  Mount your driver handle on the bit and turn the screw out.  Apply a steady, increasing pressure to turn the handle, don't try to "jerk" or "snap" the handle to get it to start moving.  Also, remember that you may need to deepen the hole with a drill so the bit can get enough engagement to do it's job.  If the screw has a very shallow recess to begin with, you should deepen the recess before starting this procedure.

BTW, please advise me the size or measurement of the allen wrenches you have been using on these screws, this will help with my recommendations on torx bit sizes.

As a side thought, this weekend (sometime after Christmas) I will be near Hurricane Mills (I-40, exit 143) traveling to my camp for another round of chasing Bambi.  If we could meet there I would be happy to take a look at your project.  Shout back.

Stumpy