Review of the Ulticlip replacement for IWB holsters

jgradyc

On the "Hybrid Holster" thread, I posted this.

Great job! I noticed you did the same thing I did... moving the belt clips closer together than on the Alien Gear holster. To me, that made a noticeable improvement in the fit.  You could consider cutting the leather in the lower right of your picture along the bottom ink line to eliminate it. After that, I'd just leave the other lines.  

By the way, I've ordered a pair of these belt clips to replace my existing clips like yours.   https://ulticlip.com/

My pet peeve with my dual belt clip holster is that it is hard to get the holster on. Hopefully, these clips will speed up the process.  I'll start a thread to let everyone know how they worked.

The Ulticlip came in and I just installed it today. Here's my first take. It's made well and the clips are sturdy. They fasten really hard so no chance of them becoming unclipped. They fasten to the pant and not the belt so they are easier to clip to the pant. The belt fits over the clip so nothing is visible except the grip of the gun, which can be covered by a tucked shirt if desired.

They are a little longer than my existing clip so the gun sits lower. Just an observation. I can always punch another hole if needed. 

It's a little hard to fasten the clip that's closest to the center of the back, but it's easier than a regular clip. The belt adjustment isn't as critical to a good fit as it is with a regular clip.  I'll wear it for a few days and give another update. So far, I'd recommend it highly. 

Oh, you do have to partially remove the belt in order to unclip the holster. I don't see that as a disadvantage or advantage... just an observation. 

Oh... IMPORTANT... they don't come in pairs. You need to buy two, so a pair is $23 or so.

Edited by jgradyc

Here ya go. The leather is from a pack of scrap leather from Hobby Lobby... less than $1 for this piece. It's thin and floppy, which is just what I prefer. The Kydex is from KnifeKits.com. It's 1/4 of a $3.99 sheet. The Chicago screws are about $3 from eBay. The Ulticlips were $23 or so including shipping. 

After putting it back on, I had another observation. Once you clip it on, it's not going to move. If you're off by a half inch of the perfect location, you can't just tug your belt left or right to re-position the holster. You have to partially take off the belt, unsnap the clip, slide the holster over, snap the clip, and then refasten the belt. It's not a big deal, just something you should know. Also, when you drop your pants, the holster stays in place in the pant rather than trying to pull out with the belt when it's fastened with regular clips. That's another plus, in my opinion. 

Oh, I guess another plus is that you don't even need a belt. Since I always wear a belt, that's not important to me, but it could be to others reading this. I really, really like the fact that I don't have to get the belt tightened just right for this holster. The belt can be loose if you prefer. With some of my belts, I had to punch a new hole to get the fit I wanted with my regular IWB holster.

Weight is 5 ounces. Weight as shown is 31 ounces.

EDITED. Okay, I was wrong. You don't have to partially take off the belt. You just need to unfasten it to attach and remove the holster. Sorry... It's a learning process.  :rofl:

nfjt07.jpg

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

Seriously, thanks. That is a pretty cool sounding system and I like the issues it addresses. I think I will probably see if I can adapt this to my current IWB holster, which requires a bit of attention - it has actually fallen out of my pants after a full day of wearing it.

I've worn this holster for four days now. Removing it is a lot easier than conventional clips. Just unfasten the clips and lift up. Putting it on is easier than conventional clips, but it's still a bit of a hassle to reach behind my back to clip on the clip closest to the small of back. Once I found the exact location to clip it on the pants, it eliminated the gouging in the back when sitting in a car seat. I'm going to switch the clips to my Alien Gear holster and see how they work on it.

I'm going to switch the clips to my Alien Gear holster and see how they work on it.
I would be VERY interested in your review of these clips with the Alien Gear. I like the feel of mine but the clips are a pain to set just right. Please post with pictures....and thanks for the heads up on these......

I'm going to switch the clips to my Alien Gear holster and see how they work on it.
I would be VERY interested in your review of these clips with the Alien Gear. I like the feel of mine but the clips are a pain to set just right. Please post with pictures....and thanks for the heads up on these......

2h6tw20.jpg

I found the Ulticlip to be easier to snap on than the original clips. It was a LOT easier to get the Alien Gear holster on with Ulticlips than using the same Ulticlips on my homemade holster. I think it's because the leather on my homemade holster flops around when I try to ge it in position to snap, whereas the Alien Gear is firm, thick leather and stays put. I just put it in position, snap the forward clip. Then, position the back clip towards the small of back and snap it shut. 

Taking the holster off was easy peasy. Loosen belt enough to unclip the Ulticlip and lift the holster up and out.

I think you'll like it on the Alien Gear holster. Note that the Ulticlips are about 3/4 inch longer, so your firearm will sit 3/4 inch lower. Of course, you've got three holes on the Alien Gear holster for positioning the clip, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by jgradyc