TBI background check delay

On the 3rd of January I went to purchase a new pistol and was denied by TBI. Sent in the appell the same day. Here we are 26 days later and my FFL says there has been no status change. I have received nothing from TBI and they have basicly turned off there phones due to high volume. I have nothing on my record that I am aware of. What kind of recourse do I have? Should I not have at least been put in a conditional release status after 15 days? Thanks for the help.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say you have a “clean record”, but have you been arrested for something and the charges were dropped/dismissed? A common problem is an arrest not showing a disposition.

Did you use your SS number on the form?

You may be on a conditional release and the FFL just doesn’t want to do it.

Not much you can do but wait to see what happens or talk to the TBI.

Never been arrested. I had a few speeding tickets in the past but paid all. I did put my SS number on the form. I'm surprised that I have not received anything from TBI. FFL says I'm not on a conditional release. I'm at a loss. This seems like more than a reasonable amount of time for them to conduct a background check.

I went through this a few years ago and it tuned out to be a speeding ticket that I had paid late but the County Clerks office did not send it were they were supposed to.The TBI will not help you figure it out. I got very lucky and caught a lady in a good mood,she give me a hint. She asked me if something had happened on a certain date and I went from there. There's another thread about this kind of thing on here somewhere that might help if you can find it. 

Edited by Esko 270
18 hours ago, Rich1983 said:

Did you get something in the mail? How did you communicate with them? 

I called the TBI both times. They said they couldn’t tell me what the charge was; I told them. Mine was a 20 year old charge in Illinois that I had a gun in my car. I told them the charges were dismissed. She told me the charge didn’t show a disposition. From that I had to go through a process of getting the disposition on file.

But if you have never been arrested; that probably isn’t your issue. It sounds like there may be an identity question. But that’s just a WAG.