Vortex Viper Reflex Red Dot Quality

Well bought myself a new M&P 9L and picked up a Vortex 6MOA Viper Reflex sight.  Not impressed.  Lock screws don't loc windage and elevation screw totally loose and no moa click to adjust.  I am blind LOL so I need the click/feel.  So it's on it way back to Vortex for the VIP warranty service ... lets see how that works out.  In the meantime I bought a Trijicon RMR Type 2 Adjustable 3.25MOA   I am expecting good things.  SO I might be having a Vortex Viper Reflex for sale... (When it's fixed)  Anyone else have issues with the Vortex Viper??

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
On 12/3/2017 at 1:45 PM, DalePO1 said:

Well bought myself a new M&P 9L and picked up a Vortex 6MOA Viper Reflex sight.  Not impressed.  Lock screws don't loc windage and elevation screw totally loose and no moa click to adjust.  I am blind LOL so I need the click/feel.  So it's on it way back to Vortex for the VIP warranty service ... lets see how that works out.  In the meantime I bought a Trijicon RMR Type 2 Adjustable 3.25MOA   I am expecting good things.  SO I might be having a Vortex Viper Reflex for sale... (When it's fixed)  Anyone else have issues with the Vortex Viper??

I feel ya! Just got the Vortex Venom and the wind-age / elevation adjustment screws just float around and could not adjust. Pressed hard on the screws to try to adjust and it worked and was able to sight it in. Hopefully it holds with no further adjustments [the adjustment screws still rotate the way they want to go under recoil. Going Trijicon or Sig Romeo next time.

I also needed a red dot for a M&P9L C.O.R.E. that would be used as a target gun. The issues I had with the Viper was that 6MOA is too big for a target gun, and you must remove the sight to change the battery. Those both made it unacceptable to me. It does Co-Witness with the M&P.

I went with the venom. I could get it in 3MOA and don’t have to remove the sight to change the battery. It doesn’t Co-witness well with the sights, but It’s a target gun so I don’t need that. If the sight fails, I put it away and get a different gun out. It’s worked well so far. But I’ve only shot a couple hundred rounds with it. I didn’t need to try to adjust it; it was dead on with no adjustment required. So I guess I should check to see if the adjustments work properly.

I’m needing another one. I was going to add another Venom, but the reviews here for the Holosun’s say it’s fantastic. And it’s priced in the same ~$200-$230~ range. Of course, now I’ll need to wait a couple of months for the new version.

I wanted a Leupold Deltapoint Pro, but at the time it didn’t fit the M&P properly. But now I can’t see where any of the circa $400 sights offer anything more than those in the $200 range.