Springfield M1A SOCCOM 16

Guest mustangdave

Guest mustangdave

Went to the local gun shop at lunch...picked up some ammo and did some window shopping. Asked the "help" about a carbine and a price range was handed a Bushmaster AR15...which was nice...then a SIG...both of these were chambered for .223. I told the guy that in the military I used an M14 with a scope as part of the ships security alert team. He pulled this M1A SOCCOM 16 off the shelf...almost instantly...daddy like chambered in .308...any one here know anything about these rifles?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest malbolja

I own one. It's a good rifle. The sights are set up for "CQB"- the diameter of the peep is bigger and the tritium front post is wider than standard so they're not great for finer work even at 100 yards.

Guest malbolja

I think you can just swap the rear sight out for a standard (or NM) model but for some reason you can't do that with the front. I read that someone (Smith Enterprises?) was working on a fix for it though.

So far I've left the factory sights alone and mounted a scout scope.

Speaking as the proud owner of an M1A SOCOM II (yes, I am that tacticool), I can honestly say I definitely like it - as has every other person who has had the pleasure of shooting it. The first few generations of it had some problems due to the shortened barrel and the resulting gas pressure difficulties, but the muzzle break at the end pretty much solved that problem entirely. Blast to shoot, as accurate as I am (if not better), and there are all manner of bits and pieces out there for it these days.

That said, the rear sight is fraking ginormous... could throw a cat through there. Also, this beast is loud - as in indoor-ranges-stop-shooting-and-everyone-looks-at-you-funny loud.

In retrospect, I would/should have bought the basic SOCOM 16, simply because the replacement stocks and pieces are much more plentiful when you do not have to worry about the funny rail assemblies. But, in either case, an outstanding weapon.

Scope options are limited to no/low-magnification, or optics with very long eye relief.... that tends to narrow the field a bit.

And, yup, that was me CAS. Sorry about the holosight being awkward - takes a bit to get used to.

Guest malbolja
Scope options are limited to no/low-magnification, or optics with very long eye relief.... that tends to narrow the field a bit.

That's true if you use the "scout" rail on the barrel but you can still use a standard receiver mount if you're looking to use a more traditional scope.

That's true if you use the "scout" rail on the barrel but you can still use a standard receiver mount if you're looking to use a more traditional scope.

Unfortunately, the SOCOM II variant does not have that option. The mount on the left side of the rifle that would be used for a receiver mount is instead used to hold its dorsal and side rail mounts on. I guess I could lose those, but then the top of the barrel would be kind of butt naked, and I would lose the use of the ventral rails, since they plug into the top :tough:.

Guest mustangdave
Dave, buy it! Great rifle with a fun factor of 10. Also, a great investment during our current "situation". HJ

:tinfoil:...just waiting for the March BONUS from work...and the IRS return...

• 4 months later...
Guest JHatmaker

Hey guys, I'm resurrecting this oldie goldie.

I'm actually in the market for a .308 and have this on my list, going to Hero-Gear this weekend to check on out. Is there a big difference b/t the 16A and the SOCOM II? Other than that cool a$$ "Urban Camo" patter available....j/k, but I dig it non-the-less.

Also, how labor dependent would it be to replace the "stock" stock with an adjustable one (AR style)?

Thanks guys!

Guest GunTroll

Also, how labor dependent would it be to replace the "stock" stock with an adjustable one (AR style)?

Thanks guys!

They are out there but come with a nice price tag!

Hey guys, I'm resurrecting this oldie goldie.

I'm actually in the market for a .308 and have this on my list, going to Hero-Gear this weekend to check on out. Is there a big difference b/t the 16A and the SOCOM II? Other than that cool a$$ "Urban Camo" patter available....j/k, but I dig it non-the-less.

Thanks guys!

If you don't need the rails, save your self from the monstrosity Vltor created to go on the Socom II. Sage and troy both make replacement stocks that give it the M4 style looks.

-Mike

Guest JHatmaker

Thanks Mike, I may swing by Outpost as well to see what all you guys have, still can't decide what specifically I want to get.

Guest Linoge
If you don't need the rails, save your self from the monstrosity Vltor created to go on the Socom II. Sage and troy both make replacement stocks that give it the M4 style looks.

Or if you just do not want them ;).

VLTOR also makes a stock replacement for the SOCOM II (and I would imagine that it fits just about any other M1A out there) that resembles the M16/4 platform - adjustable stock, all the rest. However, it is the only one, that I am aware of, that fits under their propietary rail system.

And, to answer the previous poster, that railfarm is the only thing that separates the SOCOM from the SOCOM II. If you are looking for utility, go with the SOCOM. If you are looking for utility plus a badass looking gun (at least in my opinion, and at the cost of an added two pounds), go with the SOCOM II. If nothing else, it gives you a place for your flashlight, your laser pointer, your bipod, your VFG, your... (I jest).

In all honesty, looking back at it, I would have gone with the standard SOCOM and nested it in one of these: Manufacturer of Precision Rifle Stocks-J. Allen Enterprises, Inc. (JAE) (for some reason, while I like the way the VLTOR railfarm looks, the Sage one just looks funny to me). But, I have been very happy with the SOCOM II, and everyone who has shot it enjoyed it.

Also, apparently Fulton Arms now offers their own M1A solution: Fulton Armory: M14Parts . Yet another trustworthy name when it comes to these particular firearms.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JHatmaker
i ended up getting the Scout model. i initiall got the full length Loaded model. i just dont think the socom balances correctly. just m opinion though. i would highly recommend a m1a to anyone.

Let's see some pictures!