Caracal pistol

Jack

Ive been on my ultimate CC handgun search, and have almost made my mind up on getting a Steyr M9(having not shot one is the only thing holding me back). Well doing some research on the Steyr M9 i came across this newish gun that i have neer heard of and can not find much info on. This could be another strong contender in my ultimate CC search.

Does anyone know anything about it besides what I read on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caracal_pistol

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a steyr m9-a1 owner and fan of strange/innovative pistols, the caracal is one i've got my eye on too.

looks to me like the grip angle is less aggressive than the steyr, and the overall size of the gun appears to be more of a "traditional" full size (the m9-a1 is more mid/compact ala G19).

looks really "clean" and ergonomic, although the looks of the trigger (glock-bladed style) has me wondering since i think the steyr trigger imho is much better than a glocks... hope it's trigger clockwork is more steyr than glock anyways.

i don't think i like the wierdo tri-color scheme (although it sure looks modern, maybe dubai influenced), hope it looks better in the flesh...

the steyr is an awesome design, very forward/modern thinking while at the same time practical and reliable (glock on the inside!), and i know those very wealthy oil-rich mid-eastern countries could afford anything out there, it appears even commissioning the design of their own model...

so if performance-wise and build quality-wise, it matches or surpasses the m9-a1, i'd bet they bought them selves a sick gun.

so far, as far as i know, they're not available for import yet... and there probably isn't a whole lot of us out there who would be into checking one out, so who knows if when...

Always remember to check the holster options for the firearm you are looking to carry... After seeing and fondling a PPS, I was sold on it, but after doing some checking around for holsters, I started getting worried. Thankfully, HBE Leatherworks had a mold at a reasonable price, and I was good to go.

I have not really looked into the M9-A1 that much, but it seems like it might be another one of those not-quite-mainstream, so not-quite-accessorized guns...

• 1 year later...
Guest Edmond

Better wait a bit for some reliabilty issues to be ironed out..

I just received my new toys and tested them.

EdsCaracalF-1.jpg

EdsCaracalC-1.jpg

I had a lot of fun defeating the rate of digital cameras shooting in burst between 3.7 and 5.2 pictures per second while staying in the A zone of an IPSC target @12 meters.

You never forget some things once you learned them.

I did have some serious reliabilty problems with a F and a C, Failure to feed, Failure to fire, erratic ejection and slide stop was locking before magazines were empty. 18 incidents with the 155 first rounds using NATO ammo, FN mfg then I switched to Sellier & Bellot, CBC (MagTech) and MFS commercial ammo and I had less problem.

I identified the causes, I will take 3 more F pistols to the range tomorrow, I have a competition during the weekend. I'll take the risk using one of them for Vitesse Militaire event ( Service pistol CISM Rapid Fire )

I'll make a more complete report later.

IMG_5146-Halfsecond-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finely tuned the extractor by ramping the lower inside face in order for the case head to slide smoothly in place and I modified the angle of the ejector face (I wish I had more material to start with), the modified pistol now runs like a swiss clock.