Application Dispute

Supposedly, this state does not recognize my federal law enforcement certification, as it was not issued by the POST commission. Yes, i know i can carry without a permit under my creds, but I always been told it also best to get a CCW, just in case. They stated, that my in-service training record is not enough to exempt me from the training requirements. If I had the time, i would have taken this through the appeal process. However, i will attend a enhance handgun permit course, as additional training is always beneficial.  

has anyone else ran into this problem?

Edited by Sirghost

I thought when I look at it years ago an out of state LEO cert that was within 5 years was good. But I don’t see anything there now to allow anyone not certified in this state (other than military) to skip the class.

Do you have certification of any of this?

If you are a currently employed Federal LEO covered by LEOSA; who is telling you there would be a problem?

39-17-1351
(e) The department shall also require an applicant to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course within one (1) year of the date of application. Any form created by the department to show proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course shall not require the applicant to provide the applicant's social security number. Any instructor of a department approved handgun safety course shall not withhold proof of the successful completion of the course solely on the fact the applicant did not disclose the applicant's social security number. The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours; provided, that an applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range requirements if the applicant submits proof to the department that the applicant has successfully passed small arms qualification training or combat pistol training in any branch of the United States armed forces. Beginning September 1, 2010, and thereafter, a component of the classroom portion of all department-approved handgun safety courses shall be instruction on alcohol and drugs, the effects of those substances on a person’s reflexes, judgment and ability to safely handle a firearm, and §  39-17-1321. An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for an enhanced handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:

(1) Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission;

(2) Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy;

(3) Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to § 62-35-118(b);

(4) Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military; provided, however, that an applicant who seeks waiver of the training course pursuant to this subdivision (e)(4) may have completed the military handgun training at any time prior to submission of proof; or

(5) Successfully completed Tennessee department of correction firearms qualification.

Edited by DaveTN

It the handgun permit office, that having a problem with my paperwork. I am a active federal LEO. I know, i am allow to carry under LEOSA. However, i would still would like to have a handgun permit, as a backup. The handgun permit, wont waive the safety course, as my federal law enforcement officer certification is not issued by the TN POST Commission office. I tried to tell them that, but they wont listen. I told them it would be be issued by the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in GA. However, i email the POST Commission for clarification and to see if they can issue a letter to tell the handgun permit to go pound sand and issue the handgun permit. 

Edited by Sirghost
  • Like 1

The Tennessee folks who run the LEOSA program are not very friendly to LEOSA, really, Im told that many retired LEOs here dont even bother with LEOSA because of that and go HCP only instead.   Im authorized under LEOSA as a retired Federal LEO, but they make it very difficult.

15 hours ago, Defender said:

The Tennessee folks who run the LEOSA program are not very friendly to LEOSA, really, Im told that many retired LEOs here dont even bother with LEOSA because of that and go HCP only instead.   Im authorized under LEOSA as a retired Federal LEO, but they make it very difficult.

My understanding is that for retired Officers LEOSA requires you have ID and meet your prior departments qualification requirements, and some departments don’t authorize out of state trainers to do that. Is that not part of the problem?