Insurance that covers firearms?

Guest Rando

I was wondering how well home owners insurance covers firearms and or how many. I think someone told me that the regular homeowners ins. would only cover three firearms another said you had to add a special policy to cover firearms. Does anyone have extra ins. on just your guns ( for the average Joe not you lucky super collectors) How do you record your firearms other than the type,maker and #s and maybe some pics ?

P.S. My homeowners is through Farm Bureau

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HVAC Worker

I am with State Farm and they just added a rider to the homeowners policy.I just had to give descriptions of weaons along with serial #.The rider is very cheap compared to what it would cost to replace the weapons.Hope this helps.

I am with State Farm and they just added a rider to the homeowners policy.I just had to give descriptions of weaons along with serial #.The rider is very cheap compared to what it would cost to replace the weapons.Hope this helps.

About to do the same with my renter's insurance. My local State Farm rep is a hoot. I bought my new motorcycle and her and her husband stood outside for about 20 minutes checking it out and talking bikes and guns lol.

I was wondering how well home owners insurance covers firearms and or how many. I think someone told me that the regular homeowners ins. would only cover three firearms another said you had to add a special policy to cover firearms. Does anyone have extra ins. on just your guns ( for the average Joe not you lucky super collectors) How do you record your firearms other than the type,maker and #s and maybe some pics ?

P.S. My homeowners is through Farm Bureau

I too have farm bureau, it's like this: for theft they will cover 2 guns up to 500 each. That is all. for fire they cover it all up to your "contents" coverage. All you have to do is get them to up your contents coverage to cover your guns.

Most standard homeowner's policies cover somewhere between $1,000 - $2,500 worth of firearms due to loss or theft from the home. (ie: NOT theft or damage which happens away from your home) Our standard limit is $3,500. Most companies all sell riders (or floaters, or any one of a half a dozen other terms) that will cover your firearms up the amount you specify, and with possibly (generally) broader coverages. The cost is usually insignificant for smaller collections.

Unfortunately, insurance questions aren't one size fits all. Kinda' liking asking "how fast is a car?" well... it depends... make, model, condition, the current weather, terrain, etc. If you have questions, call your agent. If the hem-haw around or say something negative about your guns, move your insurance. If they say "we should go shooting some time!" you've got an agent and friend for life!

I have insurance with Farmer's and their "standard" firearms coverage under their policy is $1,000.00. When I decided to take out an additional policy to cover the firearms (which they do offer at a very reasonable rate), I was told that the maximum amount that the policy could be written for was $10,000.00 This amount covers my personal collection but I do know that there are many people whom have much, much, MUCH more money in their collections than this. Other than that small glitch, I would recommend taking out the additional ryder.

Guest Crunchman

The NRA has an insurance program called ArmsCare Plus. When you become a member you automatically recieve $1,000 worth on your firearms. At any time, after activation of your membership, you can download an application to increase your coverage. You do not have to list descriptions, serial numbers, or photos of your firearms (this is called "unscheduled). Just make an inventory of your guns, check a Blue book for values, total them up, use the formula on the application to figure your premium cost, write a check for that amount, and send it in. Within two weeks, you'll get back your acceptance letter and policy. One exception is individual pieces valued at $2500 or more each; you have to "schedule" those with a description for each. I think they will insure a collection for values up to $1,000,000.

I did all this after doing my last inventory and finding out that my collection was worth a lot more than what I thought. My homeowners rider policy for replacement came out to about $100 more per year than through the NRA.

Websight: http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/armscareFeatures.asp

Phone #: 1-877-NRA-3006

Edited by Crunchman
I have insurance with Farmer's and their "standard" firearms coverage under their policy is $1,000.00. When I decided to take out an additional policy to cover the firearms (which they do offer at a very reasonable rate), I was told that the maximum amount that the policy could be written for was $10,000.00 This amount covers my personal collection but I do know that there are many people whom have much, much, MUCH more money in their collections than this. Other than that small glitch, I would recommend taking out the additional ryder.

Just curious JimmyJoe, is your insurance with Farmers Insurance Group, or Farm Bureau? There is a difference and many folks get them confused. Under Farmers Insurance Group's old form of homeowner's policy the standard limit was $1,000. Under the "Next Generation" HO policy the standard limit is $3,500 and the maximum allowed without special underwriting is $250,000. Someone else mentioned specific items over $2,500. That is correct, each company may have a different specified amount, but once an item is valued over that amount, it must be specifically named.

It is highly recommended to have an appraisal by an outside party on your gun collection done, then insure that amount and maybe a little extra for inflation purposes.