House Judiciary Committee Meeting Now

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

I could be wrong... I tuned in about 15 minutes after the start of the session. I figured they were likely to move bills like that, which will likely involve significant debate, to the tail end of the agenda.

Guest justme

ok, so I am confused--when I clicked on the house vote for 0962--it clearly says the bill passed 4 to 2...so what does it mean that the bill was "rolled"?

what happened to the bill that would have allowed carry on university and secondary school campuses?

Guest GUTTERbOY
ok, so I am confused--when I clicked on the house vote for 0962--it clearly says the bill passed 4 to 2...so what does it mean that the bill was "rolled"?

what happened to the bill that would have allowed carry on university and secondary school campuses?

That was the vote from the subcommittee last week. The full committee deferred it to next week's session.

Edited by GUTTERbOY

Hmmm....HB474 (HB0070)was introduced by Berke.I'm in his area,and had no idea he supported any gun bills.Heck,I remember contacting him last year about one,and he said he would not support it.

Edit;just looked through his stuff,and found another gun bill that he introduced SB 0309

Whats with this little democrap this year!?

Edited by strickj
Guest GUTTERbOY

I presume that SB0309 is directed at reversing the closing of the Montlake clays place? I'm on board... seemed to me like they definitely got a raw deal.

HB0962 (Restaurant Carry) was rolled in Judiciary because of confusion over an amendment for the time restraints. In the video, a question was asked if the 11:00pm time was an amendment, and Rep. Todd answered negative, but apparently the document presented to the Judiciary was conflicting. Hopefully it will be clear next week, and pass on through for a floor vote.

Guest db99wj

It's amazing that anything at all gets done. 0962 for example, restaurant carry, between 5:01am to 11:00pm and not in Over 21 establishments. Todd presented it, the chair didn't have all the information, the information was summarized, but both seemed like deer in the headlights...Bunch of, ummms, welll, I'....., youuuuu, Todd actually rolled it so that the chairman guy could get the "full" copy and read it. Neither one of them seemed like they would know where they crapped last.

Need to get those sprint guys with the cell phone/walkie talkies and "Get things done". Bill 0962, restaurants, 5am to 11pm, ok, not ok the rest of the time, no under 21 joints. Good, Good, done. Adjourn.

Guest GUTTERbOY
It's amazing that anything at all gets done. 0962 for example, restaurant carry, between 5:01am to 11:00pm and not in Over 21 establishments. Todd presented it, the chair didn't have all the information, the information was summarized, but both seemed like deer in the headlights...Bunch of, ummms, welll, I'....., youuuuu, Todd actually rolled it so that the chairman guy could get the "full" copy and read it. Neither one of them seemed like they would know where they crapped last.

Need to get those sprint guys with the cell phone/walkie talkies and "Get things done". Bill 0962, restaurants, 5am to 11pm, ok, not ok the rest of the time, no under 21 joints. Good, Good, done. Adjourn.

Wouldn't you rather someone read through the text of a bill/amendment before voting on it? I seem to recall a lot of bellyaching over the stimulus bill and how no congressperson could possibly have read through the entire thing before voting on it. I don't know if you were one of those or not... but it seems that reading an amendment would be better than taking someone's word for what's in it.

:popcorn:

Guest db99wj
Wouldn't you rather someone read through the text of a bill/amendment before voting on it? I seem to recall a lot of bellyaching over the stimulus bill and how no congressperson could possibly have read through the entire thing before voting on it. I don't know if you were one of those or not... but it seems that reading an amendment would be better than taking someone's word for what's in it.

:popcorn:

You missed my point. They are suppose to have that already and gone through them. The chairman had the bill but had not received the whole thing apparently and the Rep Todd couldn't explain it and he is a sponsor.

I thought, and I might be wrong, but they all get the bills before they are voted on in committee's so that they don't have to roll them and can vote on them the day that they come up.

I thought, and I might be wrong, but they all get the bills before they are voted on in committee's so that they don't have to roll them and can vote on them the day that they come up.

I don't know either but if that's not how they do it, it certainly ought to be that way.

Guest GUTTERbOY
I don't know either but if that's not how they do it, it certainly ought to be that way.

That's fo sho. But then, this is government we're talking about...

:D

Guest HexHead

We would do better with firemen instead of the idiots we have now. No doubt.

Guest KWW67

We already have them in there. Mike turner, Nash-D, for one. One of the most useless members in the house. Not a friend to us by no means. Wish he would get beat next election.

Gun legislation continues to advance in House committees

Several bills that members have advocated for several years to expand the rights of gun owners in Tennessee cleared the Judiciary Committee this week. House lawmakers were pleased to see the passage of the legislation, which had been killed in previous years by a House committee. Legislators have argued that the common-sense provisions are needed to expand and protect the Second Amendment rights of Tennessee ’s legal gun owners.

House Bill 961 will allow licensed carry permit holders to carry firearms in a refuge, public hunting area, wildlife management area, or forest land. Under current law, it is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm in these areas frequented or inhabited by big game, except during open hunting seasons on these areas. The bill expands that right to allow legal firearms the entire year, without exemption. Having passed Judiciary Committee this week, the bill now moves onto the Budget Subcommittee.

A second bill, House Bill 716, aims to expand the right to carry a legal firearm on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other property owned, used or operated by the municipal or state government. The legislation was another one that cleared the Judiciary Committee hurdle, and will now face Calendar and Rules.

Two of the bills that saw passage in the subcommittee last week were delayed for a vote in the full committee this week. House Bill 959 would seal the records of handgun carry permit holders that are currently public record. The bill stipulates that anyone disclosing information about permit holders would face a $2,500 fine for the violation. Tennesseans became outraged earlier this month when the Commercial Appeal, a Memphis-based newspaper, published the handgun carry permit database in an easily searchable format on their website. Citizens and lawmakers criticized the paper, calling the action ‘irresponsible’ and ‘dangerous.’ Some contended that in addition to printing a list that would make it easier for criminals to steal weapons, non-gun owners were also at risk because it would be easy for criminals to use the database to find homes that likely did not have a firearm.

Another bill, House Bill 962, would allow legal permit holders to take their weapons into restaurants that sell alcoholic beverages, as long as the permit holder does not consume alcohol. Firearms will still be forbidden in these establishments after 11 p.m., and each restaurant may restrict weapons in their establishment if they choose and clearly post the restriction. This legislation was also delayed in the full committee this week but will be before Judiciary Committee on March 11th