Natchez State Park Range - w/Pictures

Natchez State Park Range

24845 Natchez Trace Road

Wildersville , TN 38388-8329

I have always seen the sign pointing the range, but have never had the time to check it out. We had a church youth retreat at the park this past weekend so I drove down and checked it out. Thought you guys might like to see what it looks like.

The park offers lakes, fishing, paddle boats, RV campgrounds, swimming areas, horse rental, etc. So it would be easy to find something for everybody to like to do.

The Range...

The drill seems to be grab a card as you go in, fill it out and tear the stub off to keep and put the card in the box. The range is unsupervised. You will notice in the pictures that if you have guys shooting rifles you'll need to wait to shoot pistols, and vice versa. (Not ideal, but not too big of a deal.) Talked to a guy there, and he said as long as you pick your stuff up you can shoot pretty much whatever you want. (Check with a ranger first though.) I was asking about bowling pins.

Now the pictures...

The view from the rifle area... you can see the pistol range.from_rifle_rest.jpg

Stepping back a little you can see the rifle area.

Rifle_Rest.jpg

Pistol area... plenty of room for your crap, and a bench in case your

wanting to sight in a pistol with a cope or shoot from a rest.

pistol_house.jpg

View from the Pistol Area...

You'll notice concrete "lines" for the yardage.

facing_targets.jpg

facing_targets2.jpg

Close up of target holders. Typical "black board" with landscaping 4x4's sticking into PVC buried in the ground. If your anal, you might want to bring some shims to brace them a little better.

targets.jpg

View from the targets facing the range.

back_to_targets.jpg

I did notice a lot of wolf .223 hulls around the walk ways on the pistol range. I mean a LOT! So I would assume that ARs, and rifle calibers are okay on the pistol range. To be certain, I would check with a ranger.

And no... I didn't shoot. Perfect weather, as you can see almost had the range to myself. Just didn't have the time. :(

*To Mods... move this if need be. Couldn't find a good place to post something like this. (We used to have a range database, but I couldn't find it.) Would be neat if we had a Range thread where members could post pictures and reviews of the ranges we use. I always like knowing what a range looks like and how busy it is before driving out to it. ;)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pl1ght

wow nice. I didnt even know this was there. Especially all of the offerings, definitely sounds like a easy cheap wknd stay for me and the wife/kid. Plus i still get to go shoot! Thanks for posting this.

I have shot at the Natchez Trace SP range quite a bit (I grew up in Lexington), and it is a nice little range. Heck, I used to shoot there back in the early to mid 1980s when it was just an open area and a backstop.

It is a nice range, but (as Creeky pointed out) it is designed poorly, as the pistol range is downrange of the rifle shooters. I have no idea why they did it that way. Just watch your back if you are shooting on the pistol range. I have seen a few people come and pull out their rifles to shoot on the rifle side, while there are shooters down on the pistol side.

Guest Crunchman

I've shot at the Trace several times over the past. As everyone has mentioned, the pistol site seems to have been an afterthouht and just stuck in the wrong place. My solution is to shoot my pistols @ the rifle site. 45acp sucks at such distances but .357 and 44mag , while a challenge, are definitely do-able.