carrying while canoeing

Guest TNK

I go canoeing and camping alot over the summer. On the Buffalo River at Crazy Horse Canoe Rental...Here is my question, can I legally carry there and on the river? Seems as it would fall into the public recreational jazz...and also the legalities of it being on the canoe with me. Sometimes we camp along the river if we canoe the 21 mile trip...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker
I go canoeing and camping alot over the summer. On the Buffalo River at Crazy Horse Canoe Rental...Here is my question, can I legally carry there and on the river? Seems as it would fall into the public recreational jazz...and also the legalities of it being on the canoe with me. Sometimes we camp along the river if we canoe the 21 mile trip...

Good question. I don't see why not, as long as they don't have a policy when renting their canoes. Most (if not all) of the land that touches the river is private, but as far as on the water....

I also love canoeing and kayaking (have two) and frequent the Buffalo every now and then, more on the Duck River. We need to get a TGO get together/camp out planned. I'll definately feel safe camping that night. Hit me up if you ever want to go, I've got two Kayaks and plenty of gear.

It's just sad that we even have to have topics like this because of a small group of whacko liberals who would rather have this country sissy-fied and defenseless than to concede that we have rights that supercede their fear of an inanimate object (a gun).

Guest MidTNShooter

Count Me In X2 plus my CCW canoe friends. I only request that Friday night is for the guys to grill the ribs, steaks, fish for the women. I only want them to gather around the fire to talk about why we don't do give them this attention at home. PM me for arrangements. Great thread !

MTS.

Have two canoes, will travel ...

Usedta do the Crazy Horse 21 mile run fairly often ... always carried, was never permitted - this year I'll actually be legal (pending a favorable response to your first post, of course).

Yes...

The "recreational property" thing is property owned by the government.

Here is a thread about carry on TVA waters, it is legal, there is even a copy of TWRA letter stating it is legal.

Yes...

The "recreational property" thing is property owned by the government.

Here is a thread about carry on TVA waters, it is legal, there is even a copy of TWRA letter stating it is legal.

Just to 'muddy the waters' a little further ... if I remember correctly (and Lord knows I don't always) - the Buffalo is the one river in TN without a TVA dam on it, and as such, may be the exception to those rules.

Here's a snippet that may (or may not) help those more informed than I figure things out - from the USGS ( http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1173/circ1173a/pdf-a/chapter14a.pdf ):

The Buffalo River Basin drains parts of Lawrence, Lewis, Wayne, and Perry Counties, and land ownership is predominantly private. Private individuals own most of the land along the river, and timber companies hold most of the land on the upper slopes and ridges. Less than 7 percent of the basin is publicly owned, including 70 km2 in the Laurel Hill Wildlife Management area in the Little Buffalo River subbasin and 5 km2 in the Lewis State Forest southwest of the town of Hohenwald. In 1968, the State of Tennessee established a scenic river system which eventually included a short headwater section of the Buffalo River in Lawrence County (Tennessee Department of Public Health, 1974).
Another snippet from the TVA ( http://www.state.tn.us/environment/wpc/watershed/wsmplans/buffalo/Buffalo5.pdf ) ... I'll add more as I find 'em:
At present, TVA is not involved in any large-scale watershed protection or restoration projects in the Buffalo River watershed. However, TVA has worked with and maintains a relationship with the local NRCS offices and Soil Conservation Districts in the Buffalo River watershed.
Edited by R.Z.
Adding Info
Guest sharpshooter01
Number one rule of canoeing is."When you hear the banjos playing paddle faster".:shake:

I've got the "Paddle faster I hear banjo music" decal on my yak, also "Fish naked, you might hook the big one":D

I can't really answer your question, but as far as carrying, I carry everytime I'm on the water. You never know who might be at the boat ramp when you get back. Some of the place I put in are not the best in the world, so I'll take my chances on getting caught instead of robbed or killed.

Anybody in Middle TN, the Elk River here is great for canoeing. I backpack with some friends of the owner of the outfitter and it is always a good time. One of the other outfitters in Lincoln County (changed ownership) used to offer canoe rental and HCP Class. If anyone is up for an Elk River Trip this year, I will do the grilling.

Guest JHatmaker

Excellent, the response looks good. It might be better to do a trip before it gets too hot. I guess we just need to figure what would be the most convenient for everyone. I've never been down the Elk, I know the Buffalo has a lot of places to stop and camp/etc.

But I like trying new places so the Elk is good for me. Should we start throwing out dates when we are available? I know with summer approaching a lot of folks will be going on vacation.

If it is like last year; pretty much any weekend you want to come I will be on the Elk. For the Buffalo you guys name the dates and I will try to be there.

The Elk is kinda hard to find overnight spots along the way (but can be done). The outfitter is situated where you can shuttle upstream and float back to the outfitter's campsite or float from the outfitter and shuttle back. But they do offer 2 or 3 day trips where you carry all your stuff with ya and camp along the river. The outfitters campsite does get loud (as most car camping sites) but if you sleep well then you might be ok there.

Guest KWW67

If you carry while canoeing and boating, does the law require you to carry in a paddle holster?................... Ok, ok, let me have it. I deserve it.....

Guest JHatmaker
If you carry while canoeing and boating, does the law require you to carry in a paddle holster?................... Ok, ok, let me have it. I deserve it.....

That was actually a good one, I chuckled a little...

Guest JHatmaker
could be fun, just gotta check the work schedule... need to borrow a canoe though.

I've got two Kayaks, but there are plenty of canoes to rent, and I'm sure you could find someone to paddle with (2 in a canoe)

Guest archerdr1

never have kayaked, but would love to learn sometime. Maybe we should all get matching pink fanny packs to pack in...could be a nice uniform!:rolleyes:

Guest JHatmaker
oh, maybe shouldn't have said that, might get ousted for that one.

PINK Fanny Packs?? Those are only used on the rivers near San Francisco :D

Guest bkelm18

Sounds like something I'd be interested in too if theres ever a get together.

I like your avatar JHatmaker. "I got about 200 lbs of sh*t your pants about to go off..."