First multi-state trip since getting HCP

Guest SkyDog

Guest SkyDog

I will be traveling, by motorcycle, from TN to FL next month and want to carry my pistol(s). I will be going thru NC, SC, & GA on the way there. This will be my first time carrying anywhere outside of TN so I want to err on the side of caution. I have looked and found that NC & SC are must inform and GA & FL are not but I am a little vague on whether I must carry concealed or not. I will be using my IWB holster so keeping it concealed should be no problem for the most part. Since I will be traveling by motorcycle I will not have a really good way of securing my firearm if I go someplace where I can't carry legally. (saddlebag and trunk locks are mostly for show)

Is there any easy way to know what I must to to be lawful while carrying to these states?

Thanks,

SkyDog

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

While traveling to Florida you should be ok, since Florida allows permit holders to have guns, and that's you end destination. But I would highly suggest some sort of truely lockable storage compartment if you do in fact go somewhere during your trip that post properly and won't allow firearms on their property. Especially if you go out to eat where alcohol is served, any parks there, etc. That way you can secure it with your bike.

I'm sure you will be very careful, but make sure that gun is strapped to you tighter than your undies, you don't want it flying off after hitting a bump or something going down the interstate...

The best advice is just to use common sense, be aware of your surroundings, and just keep it hidden.

Have fun on your trip, be safe traveling.

By the way, where are you going in Florida? (you lucky b@stard)

Especially if you go out to eat where alcohol is served, any parks there, etc. That way you can secure it with your bike.

You can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol and in parks in FL.

You probably don't have time to get one, but what I have got for use on my bike is a Center-of-Mass Safe I have looped the cable around a shock and the safe is inside the saddlebag. Not a good long term solution and there is a slight risk of being seen when transferring it to the safe, but not a bad alternative if you don't want to risk carry in an off-limits place.

...and NC, SC and GA as well as FL honor TN permits.

Guest SkyDog

I will be going to Orlando for HOG primary officer training and then to visit a friend in Ocala.

I have an OWB holster with a thumb break that I can use while riding and a M-TAC IWB for when I'm not on the bike. Worst case scenario, the gun goes in the inside jacket pocket.

Can't find it now. I printed several pages off handgunlaw.us pertaining to GA, It said carry in rest stops was permitted but not in buildings; it cited 16-11-127 (I still have the printed page, but I can't find it now on handgunlaw.us.) It may have changed recently; there is a note on handgunlaw.us that GA off limits was updated on 3/14/09. I don't see that restriction in 16-11-127.

Can't find it now. I printed several pages off handgunlaw.us pertaining to GA, It said carry in rest stops was permitted but not in buildings; it cited 16-11-127 (I still have the printed page, but I can't find it now on handgunlaw.us.) It may have changed recently; there is a note on handgunlaw.us that GA off limits was updated on 3/14/09. I don't see that restriction in 16-11-127.

Here is the Handgunlaw.us GA page.

On page 5 it says carry is allowed in road side rest areas, it doesn't mention a restriction about buildings....I also find no restriction 16-11-127

Here is the Handgunlaw.us GA page.

On page 5 it says carry is allowed in road side rest areas, it doesn't mention a restriction about buildings....I also find no restriction 16-11-127

Good, I didn't want to have to piss on the outside wall of the restroom.

- OS