Since we're talking about jam...

My son has a polymer frame, full size, MRI Baby Eagle .40 cal. Probably around 500+ rounds through the gun at this point.

From time to time during a practice session (100 - 150 rnds), the first round off the mag will have a FTF. This is after inserting the mag and then dropping the slide. It will do it with both mags. The feed ramp is smooth and doesn't have any gouges. It's not consistent when and if it will do it. For the most part, the following rounds during fire will feed fine.

Just wondering if he's doing something different from time to time when dropping the slide. From what I remember it has done it both with releasing the slide lock, and manually pulling back the slide and then releasing.

We had been shooting WWB 165g FMJ, but then starting reloading with Montana Gold 180g RN FMJ. It has done it with both types of rounds.

Any thoughts? Gun or operator?

David

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's not riding the slide forward I'd say it may be a case of the mag springs still being tight and when you load the mag to capacity there is that extra tension so the round might not get stripped out into the chamber properly.

Try loading the mag one less round than full and use the slide release to drop the slide.

I like the way you're thinking on the spring tension being too tight, but he has the 13 rnds mags and most always only loads in 10.

Loading 12 isn't easy, and 13, really makes you work.

Also, I've tried to watch him closely and haven't noticed him riding the slide. He is very deliberate it dropping it cleanly.

As a side note, the first round FTF's don't usually occur until around 100+ rounds. (Not 100% of the time.) I first thought it was build up on the ramp. You can see the normal powder residue on the ramp but it wipes totally clean if you run your finger across the ramp. Nothing crusty that would inhibit the feed. Or at least seems to me.

I don't see anything abnormal that catches my eye.

David

Guest goomba

you could also try inserting the mag with the slide forward, and then racking the slide smartly to chamber the first round. I dont know if this will help, but it is worth a try.

I had a similar situation on my old Para P13. First round sometimes not feeding. It turned out to be the mag spring, after swapping in a wolff spring the issue was resolved. It may not be your issue, but for the $10 price of spring it is worth a shot.

I dunno about his FTF issue particularly, but if he loads the mags fully and leaves them sit that way between range sessions the spring will ease up some. Subsequently making loading the mag fully easier in the future.