Got it today!!

Guest marine77

Guest marine77

Got my new dillon rl550b today!! Was busy doing other things today,

couldn't play with it much or set it up :D. But i will be asking a lot of

dumb questions (don't newbie's always?) :screwy: so bear with me folks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest marine77

Well it will take me a while, i'm about to go to work and the way my work

schedule is i probably won't be able to get it together till next week. I'm

going to load pistol first, .38 and .375. I'll also reload 9mm and .223 when

i get the conversion kits for them.

So how is your reloading doing? How long have you been doing it now?

Any tips would greatly be appreciated. I know i read one place about

wearing these gloves the healthcare people use, thought that would be

a good idea and i'm going to try that and see how that works.

So how is your reloading doing? How long have you been doing it now?

Any tips would greatly be appreciated. I know i read one place about

wearing these gloves the healthcare people use, thought that would be

a good idea and i'm going to try that and see how that works.

I have just started reloading, so I am only slightly ahead of you when it comes to knowledge. There are much more knowledgeable people on this site. I can talk about what I have experienced so far. So here goes...

The setup of my press was challenging. I have started out my reloading with .223 REM. I was continuously referring from the setup steps to the graphical breakdowns in the front of the instructions. After I got everything installed, the dies presented a few problems. I used a couple cases and bullets to get all the initial settings correct: resizing, depriming, bullet seating, and then the crimping. Many measurements at this point, until I was within my reloading manuals tolerances.

Following this, I took the advice of a fellow TGO member. I seated a bullet and crimped it (no primer or powder). I then used a Sharpy pen and put a thin line around the bullet at the top of the case. I loaded this round into my AR. I was looking to see if my bullet was "pushed" into the case. If this happens, the line you drew will disappear. You would then have to adjust your bullet seating until your bullet does not move.

After I got those dies set, I moved to the powder charge die. This took the most time. The trick is is getting the die at the correct height so the case engages the powder funnel, and inturn cycles the powder measure completely. After a lot of tinkering, I figured it out. I then set my powder charge and made multiple runs to verify a consistant charge.

This is a broad overview and it does not address all issues. I recommend getting together with a local reloader to assist.

You asked about gloves. I don't wear them, but I do wash my hands quite a bit when reloading. Here's a few tips that have helped me:

- Be sure to have a case gauge for verifying rounds after reloading

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=136569

- Go slow! It's easy to overlook steps if you rush with the 550B press (I have loaded a couple rounds without primers :clap:)

- Check your powder charge periodicly

- Measure, measure, and measure again! The case die will show most problems, but I also measure the overall length at the end of a session.

- I shake my rounds to verify there is a powder charge in each case

- Ignore the rate of 400-500 rounds per hour in the Dillon instructions. This will come in time.

I have made my first run of rounds and plan to test them this weekend. I will post the results.

Guest marine77

Thanks uker!! I'll probably be as slow as you have been getting my stuff

reloaded at first as you are. Maybe even slower :screwy:. I have a few people

in mind to call and visit me to help with my reloading.

Yeah, i already did that one Punisher. Now i need to get some rounds

worked up when i can get my press together and get all my ducks in a

row.:)

Guest marine77

It'll take a little longer for me than usual, my work schedule plus some

other things that keep me busier than i want (thank god i only got nine

more months of it to do). Probably around the first of May i'll really get

into it more, i have a week of vacation which is going to be very busy.:)