Retired Mosin Sniper?

Guest Guitarsnguns

Guest Guitarsnguns

I was cleaning my 91/30 (round receiver) after a day at the range, and noticed what seems to be what was left of the scope mount screws inside the receiver. It looks like this re-arsenaled rifle had the mount screws ground off and re-blued at the arsenal. I think, and hope this is a retired sniper. This one does group better than average. Has anybody ever heard about or seen this type of thing before?

Edited by Guitarsnguns
re-word
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guitarsnguns

Thanks for the info. Now I suppose I'll be searching for scope mounts and one of those stupidly expensive Russian surplus scopes.

Guest Matchguy
Thanks for the info. Now I suppose I'll be searching for scope mounts and one of those stupidly expensive Russian surplus scopes.

Get some more advice on the plug screws before you go spending big bucks on a scope. I've heard tales that the plug screws were spot welded in place. Again, this is one of those "I heard's" and may be full of prunes, but I'd check on it if you're planning on using the original mounting holes. FWIW. I had one of these and it was a beautifully accurate Mosin, but no more accurate than a couple of other beautifully accurate 91/30's I had that were not deactivated snipers.

I've been told that the snipers were regular 91/30's that came unusually close to perfect compliance with specs and were pulled off the line for drilling and tapping because of this, as opposed to being specifically made as sniper rifles. Dunno if it's true, but legends abound with the Mosin. Anyway, odds are you've got a good, accurate 91/30. Best wishes and have fun with it.

MG

Guest Guitarsnguns

I've been told that the snipers were regular 91/30's that came unusually close to perfect compliance with specs and were pulled off the line for drilling and tapping because of this, as opposed to being specifically made as sniper rifles. Dunno if it's true, but legends abound with the Mosin. Anyway, odds are you've got a good, accurate 91/30. Best wishes and have fun with it.

MG

I have heard the same thing about the selection process. Like you said, selected off the line, not built specifically. I have come to my senses. The rifle itself, being the cheapest component... well I think I'll just save and shop for a complete package.