Fairly new resident with HCP questions

Guest D.B. Cooper

Guest D.B. Cooper

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to Tennessee, having moved here from Georgia. I have a couple of carry questions that I cannot seem to get a straight answer on.

For both questions, assume I have a TN HCP.

1) Can I carry my loaded handgun in my car?

2) If I am going to a large event, held outdoors (or in tents) on mostly private property, can I carry my gun if there are no signs posted?

3) If there is no sign posted on the door of an establishment, and then I am asked to leave... what are my rights (not used to the "signs carrying weight" thing).

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to Tennessee, having moved here from Georgia. I have a couple of carry questions that I cannot seem to get a straight answer on.

2) If I am going to a large event, held outdoors (or in tents) on mostly private property, can I carry my gun if there are no signs posted?

3) If there is no sign posted on the door of an establishment, and then I am asked to leave... what are my rights (not used to the "signs carrying weight" thing).

Thanks!

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. You MUST leave or risk being arrested/cited for Criminal Trespass. If there is a legal posting and you are caught you can be charged with a misdeameanor for carrying in a prohibited location.

www.handgunlaw.us or search out TGO's very own, brand new, still smelling like sawdust section on TN gun laws here in the forums.

Welcome BTW! :up:

Guest jos2f

Which two questions do you have your HCP on? :up:

I think Punisher answered it all for you. Question 2 sort of leads to question 3: If you're on private property and are asked to leave, you must do so. This is the case of whether you have a gun or not

Guest D.B. Cooper

Thank you for the answers, folks...

I don't trust handgunlaw.us after learning that the site has been (in the past) wrong on a few states... and I read and re-read the TN law (TN.gov) and it just didn't definitively answer the question. In fact one of the handgun law sites (not sure which one at this point) still says that you cannot carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle, regardless of permit status. The way I was reading the TN laws on TN's website, I didn't think that was right... glad I've got some confirmation now.

Question 3 was really an extension of Question 2.... I should have labeled it 2a). :hyper:

Another question I've thought of today... do posted signs apply to parking lots, or just buildings?

Example: Hamilton Place Mall in Chattanooga has No Handgun signs posted at some of the entrances to the parking lot of the mall. The signs say no handguns allowed on their property. Additoinally, the mall is owned by CBL. CBL also owns some surrounding properties... however there are no signs posted at the entrances to those properties, but CBL security trucks patrol the parking lots... never had a problem, just wondering.

A follow up to that example... if parking lots do count, what if I have my handgun in my car and I'm just driving *through* the lot and not stopping? (For those familiar with the area... coming off I-75 and cutting around the loop to Gunbarrel Road or Shallowford)

Thanks all for your help!

Another question I've thought of today... do posted signs apply to parking lots, or just buildings?

Example: Hamilton Place Mall in Chattanooga has No Handgun signs posted at some of the entrances to the parking lot of the mall. The signs say no handguns allowed on their property. Additoinally, the mall is owned by CBL. CBL also owns some surrounding properties... however there are no signs posted at the entrances to those properties, but CBL security trucks patrol the parking lots... never had a problem, just wondering.

Yes, parking lots can be posted. The property owner can choose to post at the edge of his property or just a single room within the building or any amount of area in between. If all the entrances to a parking lot are properly posted then you can not legally carry anywhere past those signs, even in your car.

A follow up to that example... if parking lots do count, what if I have my handgun in my car and I'm just driving *through* the lot and not stopping? (For those familiar with the area... coming off I-75 and cutting around the loop to Gunbarrel Road or Shallowford)

Thanks all for your help!

Technically you would be breaking the law, but if you proceeded through with no incident, not sure how anyone would ever become aware of it.

Public roadways are just that, public so even if they pass through a WMA or other off-limit places, as long as you stay on the roadway and/or right away you are not in the WMA. Where I work is Federal Property with a state highway passing right through the middle of it. You may find security on the highway because of getting from place to place, but they have no authority on the roadway.

But, even if just cutting through, a parking lot is private property.

Ok, I'll admit that i need some clarification on question #3. If the place isnt posted and Im asked to leave, can it be anyone that works there or does it have to be an owner/management type person? I was just wondering because there could be one anti-gunner trying to be an ass in a large business that generally has no rule against carrying. Opinions??

Ok, I'll admit that i need some clarification on question #3. If the place isnt posted and Im asked to leave, can it be anyone that works there or does it have to be an owner/management type person? I was just wondering because there could be one anti-gunner trying to be an ass in a large business that generally has no rule against carrying. Opinions??

What the law, 39-14-405 says is "the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner."

I'm going to say at the time you probably wouldn't know who has that authority and who doesn't. So that may not be the time to push your luck. It's probably better to get names and time and then contact the owner/manager later and deal with it that way.

Fallguy pretty much nailed it, the only thing I could add would be that if you are asked by Security you better leave. As Fallguy said I also wouldn't push my luck too much with just an average employee. You might politley ask to speak with the manager about it, but I wouldn't try to make a statement for gun owner's rights right there in the establishment.

Police are just about always going to side with the establishment in this type of case.