Question regarding class III

Guest Gun Geek

Guest Gun Geek

Ok just a quick question. Not that I am actually interested in buying one because I am not, but I have to question the legality of what I found the other day.

On a website they are selling Sten Gun Kits, They say that it is a complete Kit with everything "Each complete PARTS SET comes with every part for one gun including one NEW 32 round Magazine!" and that there is no FFL needed "Front Barrel Section is shipped completely intact with the Mag Housing as shown! No FFL is needed for sales and shipping. NOT A FIREARM.". While the gun is in pieces and parts, and technically that makes it not a gun, would assembling this thing get you in a bit of trouble if you dont have a stamp? Because you would be in posession of a class III gun as soon as it is assembled.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gun Geek

I dont think it has been cut up though.

From the pictures that they show, it does not appear to be completely useless.

whatever it is, the receiver is the actual gun, so that part is technically the firearm. it does have to go through a FFL. possessing that part is what you will get in trouble for without a stamp and is the part that has the serial number on it

Guest Gun Geek

Right receiver is the gun, I know that portion, but that is what I thought if the receiver is in the box it should go through an FFL. I considered posting a link but for the sake of the business I will not. They definitely are not in TN though.

According to the BATFE, if the receiver is torch cut in three places/pieces, then the receiver is considered destroyed.

Just having the three cut pieces is not considered constructive intent, especially since when it is torched, pieces are obviously missing.

Guest thorn
Right receiver is the gun, I know that portion, but that is what I thought if the receiver is in the box it should go through an FFL. I considered posting a link but for the sake of the business I will not. They definitely are not in TN though.

Even if the picture looks like it is intact it is probably just a reference pic. Chances are that the "kit" does not even include a cut up receiver. If you think you're going to go to a web site and buy a complete/intact unregistered machine gun receiver you may as well just call the ATF and tell them your intent :up:

Kidding aside, if you did buy a kit with a cut up receiver and try to put it back together by repairing the receiver or putting those full auto parts in a semi receiver the answer to your question is NO you can not.

This is from a website "The receivers were removed per ATF specs, and magazines are not included. these make fine displays, or simple conversion to ATF approved semi-auto configuration using the SAS3 parts." so I guess there is a way to build a semi???

Guest Gun Geek

Just for clarification purposes, I have saved the picture and uploaded. Here is a picture of what they are selling. Also I have no intention of buying one of these as I am not really a fan of the Sten. And if I did want one I would get a stamp. Besides that I wouldnt want to feed and Class III for the cost of ammo. I am not fully sure which part is the frame but I would assume that it is the part that has the trigger group.

picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=13