Quick question regarding transport (again)

Guest foister82

Guest foister82

Sorry for another newbie question when it comes to transport. Me, my soon to be father in law, and brother in law go to the unicoi range quite often. The Soon to be FIL has a beretta 96 and i have my mosquito and on occasion my brother's glock .40 cal. My future BIL is under 18 and has a marlin .22 rifle that he takes. None of us are HCP.

When going to the range, i generally keep my guns in the trunk in their cases, with ammo unloaded. My FIL keeps his beretta in the back seat floorboard (in a holster) with an empty clip in it, and a second clip (usually loaded) in the pouch. My BIL keeps his rifle in the trunk as well with mine.

My real brother works for the sherriffs dept and was telling me that i needed to keep the ammo seperated from the gun but other than that no real worries. A friend from church (who has been in the police business for several years all across the country) said that i need to keep some sort of a lock on my gun case, or get a gun travel case to put it in under lock and key. He said that if a rookie were to pull me over i'd be spending the night in jail.

So my question is: until me and the FIL finish our HCP, what is the law for transport between the range and back? I did some searching on here as well as google and could not find a definitive answer.

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You "real" brother is correct. The firearms and ammunition need to be separate:

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon. —

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon...

39-17-1301. Part definitions. —

As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:

(6) “Immediate vicinity†refers to the area within the person's immediate control within which the person has ready access to the ammunition;

Guest foister82

Great! Thanks for the info guys - i figured that my brother was right about the issue but i definitely didnt want issues down the road (pun intended)

I do want to say that i never keep ammo in the mags until i get to the range (i mean it's a mosquito... not an XDM .40) and i'll finish up my HCP soon but i dont keep ammo anywhere but the box til i get there