benefactor - web hosting?

Guest foister82

Guest foister82

I want to help out the site any way i can, either by purchasing a hat (which are awesome btw) or becoming a benefactor. I have no real goods to sell, but i do have a little backwoods web hosting thing going on. I have a shared hosting account that i sell ( or give away depending on what it's for ) . Now for an example of how backwoods im talking about, i'll use this:

There is no 24/7 support. There's 12/6 support though (meaning the 9-10 hours im at work i can also fix problems with the host, at night when im getting ready for bed, and then on saturdays if im home)

I am the only one who supports the hosting.

I dont sell domain names (i mean pretty much when you get someone to sell you a domain name they're just jacking up the price of godaddy and registering it to themselves)

I dont even have a web page finished for my hosting site yet ive had this hosting "business" since 2004 (if you could even call it that)

So my question is, would that qualify for benefactor? This is more of a hobby, not really looking to make money.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

benefactor only means that you made a donation to the site(to help keep it running) and you get some added benefits, among other things access to the ready room restricted forum and other members only features.

now a sponsorship is another step into it.

Guest foister82

Not really wanting to go for a sponsorship - And i dont want to promote my name. I want to promote the site more than anything. Im just curious as to what the benefactor really is. I dont really want any entitlement, but i do know that some people are paying sites to host pictures or maybe even a family page or "drool over my gun collection" pages. As i have no real talent for making things, that's something i can offer for little cost or in some cases free.

Guest foister82

im going to become a benefactor regardless - i want to help the site. I just was curious as to what i can offer outside of that :popcorn:

• Administrator

I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking if you can promote your hosting gig as a service to our members?

We've always allowed our members to plug their non-firearms related business as long as it doesn't become so routinely intrusive that it might as well be "spam".

Guest 70below

If I understand correctly, I believe he is offering to provide some of the webhosting availability he has to make TGO more enjoyable for everyone. Providing a service contribution rather than a direct financial donation. Perhaps allow space for TGO to once again have someplace to post their photos without using a service such as photobucket or imageshack. Maybe I'm misinterpretting also though.

Guest foister82

no that's exactly the point :popcorn:

I'd love to do that but i also wouldn't want to host someone's business site for free. I have the capability of hosting that type of site but have no real interest of doing so. There's a fine line i guess. As long as someone has a domain name, i got the space. But it's gotta be non commercial. I wont host someone's business site for free. This is strictly for personal web site or image hosting or anything like that :D

Guest foister82

and the financial donation isn't a problem really. i mean $20 donation is nothing really... and the benefits are awesome on top of that :popcorn:

Guest 70below

Ok........so what your saying is, you'll host members personal pages for free? If you are, I've got one I'd like to get started.....