Picked up a Colt Cadet

SavageSig

Anyone know anything about it? I picked it up used at Guns and Leather today, and while it shoots great, I can't find much info on the internet about it. Is custom work required to mount an optic?

I did read that the Beretta Neos uses the same magazine. Anyone know if that's true? It would be much better to pay 9 bucks a mag instead of 40 or 50.

Some quick pictures by request:

coltu.th.jpg

colt21.th.jpg

colt3.th.jpg

colt4.th.jpg

colt5.th.jpg

Edited by SavageSig
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a .22lr. I have one that I purchased new back in the 90's when they were in production. They weren't know as the Cadet when I bought it, at least not that I remember. Mine shoots great, but need to watch for lead bullets since they are dirty and tend to clog up the feed ramp. When I first bought it, I would only shoot CCI mini mags through it. Now that the CCIs are a little pricey (and hard to find), I shoot the Remington or Winchester bulk packs.

Not sure about mounting the scope. There was 2 versions, a standard and a target. About a year ago, Franklin Gun Shop had a standard for $400 and a target for $500. I said Wow, I only paid $229 new, but that was like 15 years ago.

I took a look at a Neos at Academy a few months back. They looked almost like a direct knock off of the Cadet. Maybe Beretta got the patent from Colt?

Anyway, happy shooting!

Evidently Iver Johnson started making them under the name Cadet and when Colt took over, Iver Johnson wouldn't release the cadet name. From what I could find it was simply called Colt 22, but most referred to it as the Cadet as to not be so ambiguous.

Updated with pictures.

Yup, I figure it's the 4.5" standard version. As you can see, it is not in showroom condition, but I figure a new .22 would look like this after a year in my care anyhow.

It's a bit "space gun"-ish, but I sort of like the way it looks. I definitely like the way it shoots. The grip is very comfortable in my hand.

Needs a good cleaning, but I've adopted a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude with the few .22 pistols I've had experience with. Not one failure to feed or eject in the 200 or so rounds I ran through it on Sunday.

I've confirmed that it will fit Neos magazines, so I'm going to put in an order to CDNN for some 9.99 mags.

So what's the story with the rail type thing screwed into the top? Is that some way to mount an optic, or is that just a vented rib. And if it's just a vented rib, what sort of functionality does it have?

Now that you posted pictures ... Yep, that's the one I have. Did you get the box and manual with it? If not, I should have mine around somewhere and I could copy it for you.

Let me know.

Not sure about the "rail". Never messed with it.

I did not get a box and manual, but I found a basic description of how to break it down for cleaning. Basically hold the slide back and unscrew the screw underneath the barrel, right? Do you know if it's safe to carry cocked and locked out in the field? The push button safety doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, but I'm really worried if there is a transfer bar safety or not. I don't want to drop it and have it go off.

Also, what is a good way to decock it? I don't like dry firing my rimfires, and I have heard from others that this is a big no no. Or is it acceptable to leave it cocked for long periods of time, even while not loaded?