Jackson City Council Resolutions

City Councilman Ernest Brooks II, has withdrawn his Resolution entreating all Owners of venues that serve alcoholic beverages to “Post†against legal HCP Carry. He has decided to let Rayburn’s lawsuit carry the banner for that endeavor.

However he is forging ahead with his Resolution to ban guns from City Parks. In a last ditch effort to overcome a swelling tide of support from legal gun owners and concerned Citizens, he enlisted the aide of the management of the West Tennessee Healthcare Sportsplex, a taxpayer funded venue built to attract Travel baseball and softball teams to the City’s hotels and restaurants.

From today’s Jackson Sun:

“In a letter sent to council members Monday, Ron Barry, the sportsplex's assistant operations director, says that many of children who play at the facility have divorced parents.

"We have had a couple of incidents in this past season in which we have had to call the Police Department to help us prevent harm to individuals involved in domestic arguments," Barry writes, "and to invite guns onto this facility campus would only increase the probability that serious injury could occur."

Letters to the Mayor of Jackson requesting information on the numbers of police officers that are assigned to patrol the City Parks area during events have gone unanswered.

Evidently, the “Gun Ban†mentality of the effort to usurp the Legislature’s intent to allow Citizens the ability to provide for their own defense as prescribed by Law requires no need for rational thought, relying on emotional scare tactics by the purveyors of a ‘nanny stateâ€, denying the Citizen's right to bear arms for the common defense, regulated with a view to prevent crime, as enumerated in Article 1, Section 26 of the Tennessee Constitution.

These actions would create a “Gun free zonesâ€, giving the criminal element clearance to ply their trade with impunity, against the will of the People of Tennessee, (and legally passed Legislation). This endeavor implicitly acts as advocacy for criminal enterprise by creating a safe working environment for those so inclined.

The vote on the Resolution will take place today, the meeting starts at 9:00 A.M.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that article in today's paper. I just don't get some people. Did you read the part about divorced parents and altercations. How does logic say a sign is going to stop someone intent on shooting you? I don't care for baseball so I hardly ever go to the sports plex anyway. I went out to North Park yesterday afternoon to play tennis and yesterday was the 1st time I saw JPD riding around. Normally I see MaxxGuard Security patrolling.

I also don't get this lawsuit in Nashville, boy some people in TN are just idiots. I could see them having a point in TN was the 1st in the nation to attempt this but we're not.

I wish I could carry at the fairgrounds when the fair is here. I haven't been in years. I take my kid to the carnival they have at the Jackson Plaza parking lot instead.

I emailed all the city council members.

Heard back from 4. Those four all said they would vote against the ordnance.

One told me that a similar ordnance failed a couple of years ago 2-7 and thought the vote would pretty much be the same this time.

As far as some of the clueless people on this and restaurant carry....I'd bet they would nearly be overwhelmed if they just knew how many times they were around those that carry in other places they go. But nothing happend...no shooting rampage or the like.

Anyway...I am really hoping that Jackson will be one of the larger cities in the state not to opt out of park carry.

To be honest Fallguy I'd be surprised if they didn't ban. Their pride and joy the sportsplex supports a ban. The Mayor is backing it also. I wouldn't be surprised if some back rubbing and under table stuff wasn't going on

To be honest Fallguy I'd be surprised if they didn't ban. Their pride and joy the sportsplex supports a ban. The Mayor is backing it also. I wouldn't be surprised if some back rubbing and under table stuff wasn't going on

Well while they can not prohibit carry in only part of a single park, they can allow carry in some parks and not in others as a whole.

So they could ban carry in the Sportsplex (which I'm not sure is really making them any money anyway) but allow it Muse Park, Highland Park and so on.

I keep checking the Jackson Sun's website for any update...none yet.

That's true they can do that. I posted in a thread a few minutes ago that they could do that but I really wish they law had either passed saying yes park carry is allowed or just left it banned. Simply because one city may allow which looks like none are or allow one park but not another.

Didn't the law also not require new signs to be posted?

*edit to add*

I'd be surprised if the sportsplex was making any money. They have a ton or promos going on that they are trying to use to get people out there. Soccer fields would have been a better bet. Jackson Area Wide Soccer(JAWS) brings in more money. The city needs to spend on money at Jones Creek Golf Course(Muni Course) and get those crappy greens fixed :-)

Edited by Daps

I saw that post :)

...and Yes, if they opt out they must post signs like the one in 39-17-1311©(1)

Before even though it was against state law to carry in a park, and the law required signs, local governments could exempt themselves from having to post signs, but not now.

Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.

Legislative Action Committee

Local Reports from a TFA member (Richard Archie) who attended the Jackson City Council (Madison county) meeting on July 7 reports that the city council voted 6 to 2 with one abstaining to REJECT a motion to close Jackson City parks under the local parks option.

http://www.cityofjackson.net/mayor/council/meetings.html

I should have known. Maybe I need to go have a brotha to brotha talk with them.

I know Johnny from when I worked PT at the local B&G club years ago. Can't say I'm surprised he didn't vote. If i see him I'm going to question him

In 2007, he voted against a very similar resolution.

I think he was trying to not diss Brooks, and not be counted against the right to carry at the same time, was his only out actually.

You could see him register acceptance of some of the valid arguments offered up in opposition to the Resolution.

He was torn, so he took the politically acceptable route of "Present, not Voting"!

Guest Crunchman

When I spoke my little piece this morning, I looked Brooks in the eye, and watched his face as others spoke. He knew it was doomed from the get-go. Not surprising as several councilmen are HCP holders, members of Tn. Sports Foundation, and members of the NRA and FNRA.

In 2007, he voted against a very similar resolution.

I think he was trying to not diss Brooks, and not be counted against the right to carry at the same time, was his only out actually.

You could see him register acceptance of some of the valid arguments offered up in opposition to the Resolution.

He was torn, so he took the politically acceptable route of "Present, not Voting"!

I was really talking about having a so called brotha to brotha talk with Brooks and Buchanan ahah. I figured Johny wouldn't vote, that's what I meant by him not voting and me not being surprised. I wanted to question 1 on 1 off the record so to say...

When I spoke my little piece this morning, I looked Brooks in the eye, and watched his face as others spoke. He knew it was doomed from the get-go. Not surprising as several councilmen are HCP holders, members of Tn. Sports Foundation, and members of the NRA and FNRA.

I wish I could had been there. I had a meeting at work.

I thought we were very well represented there today.

All of the opposition speakers had valid points, and were on message.