Knife advice

Guest sgtrutledge

Guest sgtrutledge

Ok need a little knife advice I want a new edc knife and have narrowed it down to three.

benchmade 9050 or 9051 auto

gerber 06 auto

microtech ultratech

Now use wise it will be defenseive and light use ie box opening or rope cutting. So if anyone has info experiance with any of these knives please opinions would be appericated

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MCRAIG

Benchmade usually makes top of the line knives, I have owned to Gerbers, one Multi-tool and on Assisted Opening and both of them had the tips break off them. I haven't had any experience with Microtech.

Guest JHatmaker

I just bought a Microtech Makora OTF, and love it. I also have a Benchmade Infidel OTF. The benchmade doesn't feel as well built as the Microtech, but I like the eronomics a lot better on the Benchmade.

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

Edited by JHatmaker
Guest JHatmaker
The microtech is my favorite but I have never owned a otf and didnt know how good it would be for edc.

The Microtech Ultratech would be great for EDC. My Makora is huge but I still carry it everyday. They also make a Daytona model which is a scaled down version of the Ultratech I believe, or is it bigger...I can't remember. Check out their website. The Troodon is another one of my favorites.

I wouldn'y waste your time on the Benchmade Infidel, it's great and all, but compared to the Microtech, it's build quality doesn't seem up to par with Microtech's.

The Microtech Ultratech would be great for EDC. My Makora is huge but I still carry it everyday. They also make a Daytona model which is a scaled down version of the Ultratech I believe, or is it bigger...I can't remember. Check out their website. The Troodon is another one of my favorites.

I wouldn'y waste your time on the Benchmade Infidel, it's great and all, but compared to the Microtech, it's build quality doesn't seem up to par with Microtech's.

Comparing a Benchmade to a Microtech is like comparing a RIA 1911 to a Wilson Combat, there is an extreme difference :(

I have several Benchmade knives but my favorites are 520SKB and the 5000SKB, I carry the 520SKB and a Benchmite everyday. I have several other knives that I've bought over the years but these are the best for my daily routine. The main reason I like them is that you can change the clip to either side and being left handed that makes it convenient. I like the way they open and close in the non auto versions and the locking system they use, very well built.

I learned several years ago after I won a very expensive Roller Ball Pen that I seemed to keep up with it and didn't lone it to customers and open boxes as I did with a BIC pen.....same with the Benchmade!

I still have the PEN and the Knives.

You've mentioned auto openers as an option. Aren't these illegal to carry in Tn as per #7 below? Just looking for clarification.

39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons. —

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(1) An explosive or an explosive weapon;

(2) A device principally designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon;

(3) A machine gun;

(4) A short-barrel rifle or shotgun;

(5) A firearm silencer;

(6) Hoax device;

(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles; or

(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose

You've mentioned auto openers as an option. Aren't these illegal to carry in Tn as per #7 below? Just looking for clarification.

39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons. —

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(1) An explosive or an explosive weapon;

(2) A device principally designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon;

(3) A machine gun;

(4) A short-barrel rifle or shotgun;

(5) A firearm silencer;

(6) Hoax device;

(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles; or

(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose

The OP is a LEO, I think anyway, so he should be fine

Guest sgtrutledge

I am leo but i have seen alot of folks carrying microtechs in tn with no problem it just depends on who see ya deploy it and loop holes do exsist :angel:

Ever looked into the Emerson - I was issued an auto opening knife when I was deployed, it was cool, but I like the feel and ease of cleaning of my Emerson. It has a design that opened when pulled out of the pocket. This might be late, sorry.......

Guest logicprevails

A good EDC is the CRKT M16 for the $$. Emerson or Benchmade is good bang for buck also. For special applications (fixed blade, hunting, etc.) check out a guy in M'Boro (Pete Semich) that handmakes and are razor sharp, even though made from 1/4 in stock. You can shave with his hatchets.