Building a 1911, where to start?

nolo

I just picked up a GI model Rock Island Armory commander size 1911. I am wanting to customize it with some match grade parts. Where is a good place to start? I'll probably get new grips right off the bat, but I didn't know if I should start with the trigger, night sights, or the guide rod/spring.

Also it won't feed hornady TAP hollow points. They dive into the feed ramp. I didn't have any trouble with the WWB that I put through it earlier. I am using Kimber mags.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same gun and really like it, I did put some Hogue ruberized grips on it and dropped it off last weekend to a gunsmith to have some 3 dot sites put on it due to my eye sight going south. I've put about 300 rounds of FMJ's through it with no problems at all but havent tried any hollow points!!! COOP

Guest BigShot

Let me know how your build goes and what you do and we can compare results, I like my RIA so much I'm buying a big btother for it this weekend, a full size RIA 1911. I check prices and guns the other day at G&L and they have a full size double stack mag .45's in stock which I never seen before (NEWBEE) and priced at $469!!! But the 1 I'm getting this weekend is used. COOP

0714091351.jpg

Nolo, did you buy the one at South Clinton Pawn?

As far as where to start, it's more of question of what you want to do first. Sights or the trigger are probably the most expensive thing to do. Grips are the cheapest and easiest to do. Op rod is a piece of cake. Basically, you just swap it out. Actually, a lot of stuff you can do yourself. It's really not that hard to do. There are lots of how to guides out there for the 1911. Have fun and take your time!

One of the things I'd like to do to my Springfield is checker the front of the grip. I don't care much for Hogue or Pachmeyer grips. A nice set of wood grips is more attractive and works just fine.

Edited by Moped
Nolo, did you buy the one at South Clinton Pawn?

I got it in Tazewell today. It was used but was in great shape. I paid $350 for it. I've found a few triggers that I like. Is that something that requires fitting or can I just put it in? I was looking at a Wilson combat. As far as sights I am going to go with a night sight, but don't know what brand.

Is there a good shop in Knoxville that does good trigger/barrel work? What about predator customs?

That's a nice looking gun COOP.

Hey thanx nolo, I'm not gonna do to much to the compact after the sites, but the full size will get some treats, I think Moped is right that on my full size will have good wood grips to look a bit more traditional!!

Good price on the RIA!!!

The only place I know of is CCA. I'm not sure what kind of work they do. Other here, can testify to their quality. Other than that, I know of no one else. You might check over in the Gun Smith section.

Some triggers you can drop in and some need to be fitted. I've never dropped a trigger into one of my 1911s. They all had fairly good triggers out of the box, except for an old Auto Ordance that I sold off. My Springfield has a wonderful trigger on it.

The things I've done to my 1911s through the years are sights, guide rod (once piece full length), barrel bushing, flat mainspring housing, grips, add on mag well and firing pin and spring. The main spring was the hardest to do and that took about 30 minutes.

As I said earlier, I still like to have my Springfield front grip checkered. I understand that's not cheap, so it's going to be a while before that gets done.

Edited by Moped

id also recommend 1911forum.com

i am picking up a Springfield Armory Stainless Milspec to build into a semi-TRP pistol.

i am going to add the trigger pull kit and thumb safety from Cylinder and Slide and a Magwell/MSH and Grip safety from Smith and Alexander. then have the front strap checkered and Novaks installed.

I started on my RIA today. I installed some new Wilson Combat parts: all new springs, trigger, sear, sear spring, and disconnect. I have a hammer too, but I am going to wait to install a beaver tail safety. I also added some VZ Alien grips. Soon to come are new barrel, guide rod, extended mag release, thumb safety, and night sights. It's starting to come together.