Gun Insurance

Guest clsutton21

Guest clsutton21

So I'm thinking with my growing collection with additions on the way :rolleyes:, I need to start thinking about insuring my collection. How do I go about doing this? Someone said something about homeowner's insurance, but I'm living in an apt while in school. Where would I get a policy for me? How much is a policy generally on such items? Know of any good companies to contact?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to an agent. My buddy has renters insurance and you get to list the items you want covered. Make sure you get the replacement value. They have to replace you with another like item - no depriciation value crap......

Guest clsutton21
Talk to an agent. My buddy has renters insurance and you get to list the items you want covered. Make sure you get the replacement value. They have to replace you with another like item - no depriciation value crap......
There is "renters insurance", which you should have anyway. It would cover your property. I'm sure there would be a rider to cover any "unusual" property.

See, I've heard about renter's insurance, but never thought it'd cover something like that. I've been here 3 years and will probably be around another year. Is it transferable depending on what apt you live in? Or does it cover the items regardless of what apt you live in? I will probably be moving around quite a bit for the next 8 years or so.

Guest 70below

I used to have a renters insurance policy, somewhat generic through Geico that covered $4500 of personal belongings for about $100 a year. I imagine you can bump that coverage up for more dough.

Guest bkelm18

I used to have renters insurance through USAA and I believe they specifically stated they would cover up to $5000 (I think, don't quote me on the amount) in firearms just on the regular policy. I'm sure you can get add ons or riders for more. In either event, you should have renters insurance regardless. I think it's a better safe than sorry thing, and as far as I know it's transferable if you move, but I guess it depends on company policy. Never know when your meth head neighbor burns down the building while cooking up his special recipe. :rolleyes:

Guest HexHead

First you should have renters insurance regardless. I used to work with this guy that was out playing golf and when he returned, his apt. building had burned down and all he had left was the sweaty clothes on his back. He had to replace everything, starting with the toothbrush.

You can then schedule your firearms on your policy individually as most insurance policies have a limit of like $2500 on firearms. You may run into some issues doing that though, like they may insist you have a safe and some companies won't insure certain guns like ARs.

Guest clsutton21
You can then schedule your firearms on your policy individually as most insurance policies have a limit of like $2500 on firearms. You may run into some issues doing that though, like they may insist you have a safe and some companies won't insure certain guns like ARs.

I guess I could just invest in a fireproof safe instead. =/

My wife received a very expensive watch from her employer as a reward for 25 years of service. The watch is worth more than my car (but so is my alarm clock). When I presented the appraisal to our insurance agent they advised me it would have to be covered under a separate rider. I suspect this is also the case for any items (collectibles) when the value exceeds the amount considered "normal" under the declarations in your policy.

Guest bkelm18
I guess I could just invest in a fireproof safe instead. =/

Insurance would be a much better option, IMO. If I had to choose between a fire resistant safe (no safe is fireproof) or insurance, I'd definitely get insurance. If your building or your apartment burns down, the only thing that safe is going to do is make a nice little carrying case for your rusted out hunks of metal.

Guest clsutton21
Link for NRA firearms insurance. I got mine for less than I could find it with any other company.

NRA Endorsed Insurance - ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance

Thanks for the link. Turns out that my rifle wouldn't be protected from nuclear radiation unless the radiation caused the fire...not sure if it's for me. :rolleyes: Just kidding.

So after my DMR is done, how would I go about it? It said that firearms over $2500 need to be scheduled, what does that mean?

In thinking about the insurance question another insurance question occurred to me. I purchased a used revolver that I just leave in my car. I figure if it or it and the car both get gone I haven't lost a lot as opposed to leaving a more expensive gun in the car. If it were to be stolen would my homeowners replace it or my auto insurance?

Guest D.B. Cooper

As long as you have renters or homeowners insurance, my agent was able to write special insurance coverages for my collection. He's in Georgia, but is also licensed to write insurance in Tennessee. Give him a shout... I can provide a physical address or email address if someone needs it.

David Markey (ph - 770-640-1232)

Guest Crunchman

So after my DMR is done, how would I go about it? It said that firearms over $2500 need to be scheduled, what does that mean?

What that means is that you list the value of your guns (I used the Blue Book as a guide). If any firearm is valued at $2500+, then that firearm has to be documented with the insurance company individually, as in pictures and/or description. Otherwise, you total up the value of your collection and take out that much insurance. I added a couple of thousand value to mine to compensate for value increases over the next couple of years. The NRA endorsed insurance also covers your "incidentals" like scopes, cases, reloading equip., knives, bipods, etc.

Call your current insurance agent/company.

He/She should be able to work out a rate per $1,000 or per $10,000 of coverage. They will need the information for each item covered (e.g. brand, model, serial number). The company may request an appraisal of all firearms or perhaps just the "high valued" items.

Take detailed photo's just incase you need to file a claim.

Your company will issue a shceduled endorsement to your "contents/personal property" that will cover the items that you have on the list. Make sure that you notify them of any additions or deletions as needed. If you fail to add a new firearm to the list it may not be a covered loss.