AEDC WMA Deer Hunting

Does anyone here have much experience hunting at AEDC? I was drawn for the Nov 7/8 hunt... :(

On the state website, it lists the hunt as shotgun/muzzleloader/archery. Does this mean that I can hunt with a shotgun during my draw hunt even though it is only muzzleloader statewide?

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AEDC Public Affairs

Hi. I work in Public Affairs at Arnold AFB and saw your blog post. Got an answer for you. The 7-8 Nov, hunt is shotgun/muzzleloader/archery. It is the hunters choice of the listed weapons. Shotgun is legal on that hunt on the AEDC Wildlife Management Area.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone here have much experience hunting at AEDC? I was drawn for the Nov 7/8 hunt... :D

On the state website, it lists the hunt as shotgun/muzzleloader/archery. Does this mean that I can hunt with a shotgun during my draw hunt even though it is only muzzleloader statewide?

Thanks!

Went hunting there about four years ago. Saw some sign but not any deer. It seemed like the way people were hunting is by driving. Hunters would load up their semi shotguns and then do a drive. One guy got shot that year too :stare:.That' s not hunting to me ,but overall it was good trip. I would find some food plots and hunt near those. A gentleman I know who is in his 80's said (he's been to AEDC hunting multiple times) he's seen the biggest buck ever at AEDC.

I hunt there every year. I usually try to make the bow hunt and then get a shotgun hunt. I kill deer just about every hunt. When I haven't killed deer, it was by choice. Sorry, I ain't going to tell you my secret spots, but there are lots of deer and plenty of places to get away from the crowds if you are willing to walk. I missed a very large buck last year. I jumped him while walking out just flat missed. That was one time I wise I had not had a scope on my shotgun, he was just too close to get focused that fast.

You will see a lot of small bucks killed there. I hate to see all the little bucks being taken, I wish AEDC would enact a DOE FIRST rule on shotgun hunts. All the game wardens beg people to take does. I usually kill does at AEDC because I won't shoot a year and half old buck.

I drew the first hunt this year. October 17 and 18 I believe. The deer will be hunter shy by the time you get to hunt in November. Fortunately you will have the Rut on your side about that time.

I was in on an archery hunt a few years back. I'm not sure exactly where I was but it was close to the interstate and very flat. DO NOT GO TO THAT AREA! You couldn't walk more than 150' without coming up on someone. I trekked around with my stand on my back and gave up well after daybreak, plopping down behind some brush. There were so many people walking around that it was like a pinball game when you get the bonus balls all at once and don't know which way to look!

If I knew where to send you to get you away from the crowd I would but...

I have to chime in a negative on this one as well. I went and scouted the area near the big stream/creek east of the main airbase where the north/south road meets the big east west. Sorry I can't recall the names. I went in day light and used a few reflective thumb tacks to mark my route back out to the road. When I went in, I was the only truck on that road and thought, wow, this will be great, we all must be really spread out.

The first problem was as soon as I turned on my flashlight, there were markers in many areas as well as that damn flourescent tape hanging from limbs. I knew I had parked really close to my original entrance point as I marked the mileage in 10ths but I could not tell which path in was mine so I just started in.

Well, after settling in and waiting for the sun to rise, I heard lots of vehicle traffic from that road which was about 500 yards away. I then saw a light walking in on me. I did the normal hunters etiquette of shining my light back in their direction to wave them off but they kept coming. Finally they stopped and turned south from me after I held the light on them! I could hear the guy muttering something but it's always been what I thought common courtesy that in group or public areas, first in gets the spot!

Closer to sunrise I saw and heard several other hunters coming in and setting up (climbing) and it sounded like a rock concert to me.

About 10 am I hadn't even seen a squirrel I climb down and pack up the climber, head to the truck. When I get to the road, there is a truck or car every hundred yards or closer! I went and got some lunch and went north of that area for the afternoon hunt. I purposefully found an area where there were no vehicles and went in again. This hunt was also a turkey hunt option with archery equipment. I started hearing guys using calls an hour or so after I got settled in. I did finally see a doe come running by but she was so spooked by all the people in the woods that she never slowed down. I guess she had heard that sound everyone uses to stop a deer 40 times because as soon as I gave a short one, she picked up speed instead of stopping to find out what was going on.

To many people, with so little hunting etiquette made that my one and only trip. I guess if you live within 30 miles it might be worth it but not from north of Nashville. YMMV

I just got back, from squirrel hunting today. I hunt here alot. This is one of the better WMA to hunt for deer and turkeys. Need any info, I got it.

I will say that AEDC can be a terrible place to hunt if you are set on hunting in any area that is easy to access. Any road or trial that can easily be walked down will be walked by lots of hunters. The trick is to get a map and get off the beaten path. Of course this does require some level of physical fitness. I think this pretty much goes for any public hunting area though.

Just got back, saw about 30 turkeys, walking around. Plenty of deer signs in view also. The dog treed twice, so many leaves I could not see to shoot.

Be very sure you have a compass or know the area very well if you are staying in your stand until dark. you can get lost 20 yards off the road. Most of it is very flat and it all looks the same .Don't think you can't get turned around.

Be very sure you have a compass or know the area very well if you are staying in your stand until dark. you can get lost 20 yards off the road. Most of it is very flat and it all looks the same .Don't think you can't get turned around.

Amen. I was walking out one night and got on the wrong set of cateyes. They took me in the wrong direction and I was pretty far from the road by the time I realized what was going on. I had to back track and it took me forever to get back to the truck.