Help me pic out and find a Kimber...

Guest Engloid

Guest Engloid

I love the Ultra Carry II's. I would like to find one in stainless, 3" barrel, with crimson trace laser, and the red wood grips.

What's the difference in the Ultra Carry II and the Ultra CDP II? Is it just a matter of options or what? I think they make one with a full stainless body. That's what I'd like, but I can't find the options I want.

Where's a good place to get the best price on what I want? thanks!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can tell, the differences between the Ultra CDP II and the Ultra Carry II, with the exception of finish, are that the CDP has the "carry melt treatment", ambi safety, and it comes with night sights. Both of these pistols have an aluminum frame. I don't believe Kimber makes an "Ultra"(3" barrel) sized pistol with anything other than the aluminum frame.

It sounds like the Kimber that is closest to what you want, without any aftermarket parts, would be the Ultra Crimson Carry II- Kimber - Continuing The Legacy It is basically identical to the Ultra Carry II, except it has a blued slide instead of stainless and it comes with the Crimson Trace laser grips.

As far as best price, I really don't know.

Cliff

Guest JHatmaker

I just sold my Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II to another member on here. It was a great gun, and I highly recommend it or the CDP II if you're looking for a 3 inch 1911.

Crimson Carry comes with the Red Wood (Plastic) grips. The only thing I didn't like were the lack of serrations on the front side of the grip. The rubber laser activator helped with grip, but it would have been nice to have some chain-link or something.

Guest Engloid

The grips are plastic? ughhh!!

I'm not big on the blued slide either.

Aluminum won't have the same abrasion resistance (wear as well) as stainless or steel would. Aybody ever have problems with the tolerances getting a bit loose and the gun rattling or having problems from wear?

Guest abailey362

only problem i ever had out of mine was failure to feed rough cut hollow points. other than that put hundreds of rounds through it without malfunction

Guest Crunchman

Been carrying a 3 inch CDP II for 4 years. Have had negative problems after the first couple of mags through it (2 FTFs). 400 or so rounds through it of all types. There's starting to be a little wear around the front edge of the slide and a couple of minute chips in the finish of the frame. A friend has the 4 inch version and has about the same wear on his after 5 years with no malfunctions.

Guest HexHead
I love the Ultra Carry II's. I would like to find one in stainless, 3" barrel, with crimson trace laser, and the red wood grips.

You might want to consider the Colt Defender, and adding the Crimson Trace grips to it also. I've had two Kimbers and now have the Defender's blued near twin the New Agent. Colt seems to have mastered the 3" 1911 reliability wise. You'll have to search high and low to find any complaints about them, not so much with the Kimber Ultras.

My New Agent has been 100% out of the box and several hundred rounds later.

You might want to consider the Colt Defender, and adding the Crimson Trace grips to it also. I've had two Kimbers and now have the Defender's blued near twin the New Agent. Colt seems to have mastered the 3" 1911 reliability wise. You'll have to search high and low to find any complaints about them, not so much with the Kimber Ultras.

If I were going with a 3", I would get the Defender as well. Solid all round gun.

The CDP is a Kimber custom shop gun. That just means they smooth out the edges of the gun for less drag on clothing. The barrel and trigger are match grade too.

Guest Engloid
If I were going with a 3", I would get the Defender as well. Solid all round gun.

The CDP is a Kimber custom shop gun. That just means they smooth out the edges of the gun for less drag on clothing. The barrel and trigger are match grade too.

So if I understand right, it is the same gun with a couple modifications and tweaks. thanks!

Guest HexHead

Having had both, I also greatly prefer the Colt Series 80 system to the Kimber's Swartz safety. You've got to be careful when field stripping the Kimber not to shear off the piston and make the pistol inoperable. Also, the Colt Series 90 field strips without the use of a "takedown tool".

What's the difference in the Ultra Carry II and the Ultra CDP II? Is it just a matter of options or what? I think they make one with a full stainless body. That's what I'd like, but I can't find the options I want.

Where's a good place to get the best price on what I want? thanks!!

Sounds like you're wanting a carry pistol. The aluminum framed models (CDP and others) aren't a bad idea since they save some weight compared to steel frame models.

Guest sjrhodes82

I personally have the ultra carry tactical made by Kimber. I absolutely love it. I have thrown all types of ammunition threw it flawlessly and couldn't be more satisfied.

Guest Orionsic

Im looking for a Kimber (custom II)as well. I cant find anything in Tennessee thats not above retail price. If anyone has the info on one let me know!

Guest TurboJeff

I recently bought a CDP II compact. That model has a 4" bbl with a short style aluminum frame. I also have a Tactical Custom II, 5"bbl, full frame. I can carry either of them comfortably all day. The CDP II is just as accurate as the TC II out to about 15 yards or so.

I think you would really like the CDP II Ultra. It has a 3" bull bbl, no bushing. The frame is a short aluminum allowing for 7+1.

Guest Engloid

It sounds like the CDP Ultra is what I'd like. Anybody know of the best places to get one online? The local places here don't have any at all, and the prices aren't that good.

Guest 3pugguy

Hey Hex,

My next purchase will be a 1911 so what has been your experience with having to change out the springs after 300 rounds or so? I ask because of an article in Handguns where they reviewed the Colt, Glock and Kahr and mentioned it being recommended to change our recoil springs at about the 300 round mark.

I know they aren't real costly, but would like an actual owner's input on using a 3" barrel in .45ACP.

Thanks.

Guest HexHead
Hey Hex,

My next purchase will be a 1911 so what has been your experience with having to change out the springs after 300 rounds or so? I ask because of an article in Handguns where they reviewed the Colt, Glock and Kahr and mentioned it being recommended to change our recoil springs at about the 300 round mark.

I know they aren't real costly, but would like an actual owner's input on using a 3" barrel in .45ACP.

Thanks.

I just looked through my Colt OM, and couldn't find any mention about replacing the recoil springs at xxx many rounds. That sounds awfully low though. I know I put way more rounds through mine than that with no issues whatsoever, before sending it back to Colt for the recall. They installed a new spring assembly as part of the recall, so the clock has been reset.

The recall spring assembly is similar to the one on the Kimber Ultra which has the recoil spring change recommended at 1800 rounds and the Para PDA which is recommended at about 1000 rounds. Perhaps they meant 1300?

In any event, I'm at 100 rounds on the new spring assembly, so I'm not going to worry about it for a while. :)

As for reliability of a 3" 1911, my Colt has been 100% reliable from day one. My Para needed a break in period of several hundred rounds.